Chapter Seven

Lainey's POV

~~~

Goddammit, I thought I was walking closer to the road. Not the further into the fricken park.

I sighed as I looked at the tables spread before me, rather than head for limo to get the driver to take me home or to call a taxi I'd accidentally walked in the direction of the after party. It wasn't my fault either, there were no signs anywhere, or ropes, or security guards bossing me around. I've just walked past the pathway leading out here instead, not to mention that I have no fricken idea where in the park I am.

People were already beginning to mill into the party there were at least fifty different people in here already and more and more were coming in. Before long there's gonna be six hundred in here. There's no way I'm going to be able to find my way out when surrounded by so many people. It'll be practically impossible for me to find anyone from my brothers band in this crowd and if there are any waiters or staff here then they're invisible. There no way I'm gonna be able to get out of this party, not while walking around in high heels with Summer on my hip.

I didn't want to do this when I was originally invited and I shouldn't have. Instead I should have spent Saturday at home with my daughter like I've been wanting to for the past few weeks.

"Lainey, what are you doing here?" I heard someone call out to me and I stopped, looking around for the source of the energetic and nearly tiring voice and feeling genuinely surprised when I saw who it belonged to. "Cool, you've even gotten dressed up...and Summer! Look how big you've grown, woah. You're nearly as big as Patrick."

"Hi, Brendon. You're not wrong, she's grown pretty quickly, nearly four years old now. You wouldn't believe how hard it is, keeping up with her." The singer of PATD had leaned down and was talking to Sunny, cooing over her and when she reached towards Brendon I somewhat wearily let him take her.

I need to be careful, it's easy to get caught up in a conversation with him without meaning to.

"How long has it been since I last saw you and Sunny? It'd be nearly three years now, wouldn't it? I heard from Dale that you've moved out and gotten your own place. Oh and I got married but you didn't come to my wedding!" Brendon was talking almost too fast for me to keep up, likely still energized from Panic's performance slot at the awards but he'd always been excitable like that so it could just be him being normal.

"Um, yeah. I moved into a really nice, friendly apartment complex around the time of your wedding actually. I'm so sorry about that, I really wanted to come but Summer had her first bad cold because the trip really took it out of her and she was in no shape to travel more. I just didn't have the heart to do it to her." That had been a really horrible week for both me and her. I'd been so worried that I'd hardly gotten any sleep and she was crying all the time because didn't feel well and didn't know how to react to it. Even I was better off not going, I would have showed up looking like exhaustion on legs.

"No, it's fine. If she was sick then there's no way I could have expected you there, you went with the right choice. I'm twenty-nine I can barely take care of Bogart and Penny. It's gotta be tough raising a kid and growing up at the same time, I couldn't do it. That's why you're going to be the first person I'll be calling when Sarah and I end up with a rugrat of our own." I laughed at his suggestion and nodded, there was no way on earth I was going to be babysitting his kid. If it has half the energy he does then it's more than I could possibly handle.

"Well you and Sarah have my number, I'll promise tips and nothing more." As Brendon and I talked Summer ordered for him to let her down and he put her feet first on the ground before she walked over to me and started playing with the rings on the hand I had at my side.