Chapter Eight

Lainey's POV

~~~

As I slowly walked towards them I felt as if my heart might suddenly stop.

This is exactly what I'd feared, Gerard seeing me with Summer, him meeting her. Not to mention I had no idea how I was going to explain this to someone as young as she was. Yet here I was, watching her sitting with him, talking with him and it was nothing like I'd expected over the past years.
Nothing like I'd imagined with my hands on my stomach as the plane set for America lifted off London's Heathrow airport runway.

Although the band playing on the small stage overtook everything else and I walked barefoot timidly across the grass Gerard looked straight up at me, almost casually as if he was noting two people having a conversation. He really hadn't changed, maybe he looked a little tireder and his eyes were a little dimmer but my heart noticed no difference and beat harder with each second his gaze remained on me. My mouth went so dry it felt like there might have been a tumbleweed rolling across my tongue and I nervously licked my lips, knowing that I only had one shot to get this right so I better come up with something good to say.

"Do I get a reward for being the one who found her?" Gerard asked, his voice coming out before mine had and he glanced down at Summer, giving her a big smile. "It doesn't matter if I do or don't, just this is enough."

As soon as Summer was within arms reach I knelt on the ground and pulled her into a hug that she didn't protest. Even if it had been Gerard who ended up with her I was glad nonetheless, I've never felt so terrified in my entire life than I did thinking that something might have happened and I wouldn't be there to protect her. There were so many horrible things going on in my head but now knowing she was with Gerard the whole time, there was nothing in the world that could have made me more relieved, even if it turned out she'd been with Patrick.
Gerard would have known Summer was his daughter on sight and because of that I knew not a thing in the world could have even dreamt of touching her.

He looks really happy to see Sunny.
In a bizarre way it makes me kind of happy as well.

"If she's been with you and you knew about her being lost then why haven't you called?" I wasn't angry at him but I'd suffered in the thirty minutes she'd been gone. The again I suppose it would have been fair considering how I'd taken her away, still it wasn't something I cared to suffer through ever again. "I've been so worried I thought I was going to have a complete meltdown. Sunny, don't you ever walk away from me again, do you understand?" I hugged her to me and felt her nod her head against my chest. I'll never let this happen again, I don't care if I have to chain her to me.

"Because, I was worried that as soon as you saw me you'd take her away again," Gerard murmured, answering my question as he stroked the back of her head. "I didn't want you to be worried about her but I got distracted because well, you know. She's just so smart and funny and beautiful, she's just like you, Lain." As he spoke Summer let go of me and turned around to go back to him. While I'd been nervous at first to see them together I felt myself beginning to relax; he was definitely taking this a lot better than I'd expected, I'd thought he'd be angry in the least very least and it would have been rightfully so but instead I was getting absolutely nothing.

"But she's got your eyes and although I could say it's from Dale she got her love of music from you." Summer had started up a conversation with Wumpy and was chatting to the empty space in front of her.

"I've wondered for so long what she would be like and she's even more amazing than I could have imagined. Tell me more about her. What's her birthday, has she got a middle name?" I tucked my hair behind my ear thinking on the countless questions I knew he'd have. They were going to take a while to answer and the after party was far from being the right place or right time. Chances were the conversation would end up going on for ages,

"Look Gerard, I want to tell you everything about her but this really isn't ideal. It's starting to get late and Sunny needs to go to bed or she'll be completely out of whack besides it's reall-"

"Let me drive you back to your place."

---

A/N
Sorry for the short chapter folks but I wanted to let you all know what happened next and to make up for it the next chapter's going to be long.