Chapter Twelve

Lainey's POV

I adjusted Sunny on my hip as I walked toward's the front door, grateful for the last minute save even if I knew one of the most awkward moment's of my life was about to ensue.

Taking a deep breath and pushing out thought of the moment I'd just had with Gerard I put my hand on the handle and pulled the door opening, seeing the face of my former best friend light up as I answered. Her eyes going shiny and instantly moving to Summer who was as equally excited but more because she liked flowers and Iris had plenty on her shirt.

"Lainey, hey" she began, grinning at me then at my daughter. "So, this is Summer. Hi, I'm Iris." As outgoing as Sunny might have been seconds ago the second attention was turned to her she became shy and tucked her head into my chest, trying to hide. Iris and I couldn't help but laugh at her reaction and I stroked her hair to calm her, trying to not laugh too much.

"Wow, you look great. I was just wondering when you were going to show up." It was more like praying she would show up since my brain was stuck between the rock and a hard place of whether I wanted to punch myself for being stupid enough to sleep with Gerard even when I knew he had a girlfriend or wanting to punch him for daring to talk to her in my house like I didn't even exist. "Um, let me just grab my bag and I'll be right out okay?"

Let me just tell Gerard to stay out of sight so you don't know I'm as stupid now as I was four years ago.

"Oka- Father Way?" I could see Iris's eyes go wide as she looked behind me and I swore under my breath as I heard the sound of Gerard's approaching behind me. Iris looked back at me, her face saying she was full of questions that I would be hearing whether I wanted to or not the moment we left the house.

"Uh, it's just Gerard now. I've legally dropped the title." Trying to force a pleasant expression I glanced at him and hearing him Sunny began to struggle in my arms, wanting Gerard more than me and I held her tighter. "It's good to see you, Iris. You look, um, different."

"Gerard was just leaving," I said, cutting in. It wasn't a matter of how rude I was being now it was more about the fact that right now my heart couldn't take a Rosehill reunion, neither could my brain. "You've already got my number, we'll talk later...or I'll call your PR or something." I knew there was no way calling anyone that had anything to do with Gerard or his band would actually get me in connection with them - especially when I was saying I was the mother of his child - but it was better than nothing.

Clearly taking the hint that this wasn't the time for a conversation or an argument he nodded, giving me a small but genuine smile and grabbing his jacket from the back of the sofa. "Alright, I'll, uh talk to you later," he told me before stopping to look at Summer who ceased squirming the moment he was in front of her. "And I'll be seeing you very soon. Okay, kiddo?" She didn't say anything and simply beamed a grin instead and he grinned right back at her before dropping a kiss in her head that made her squeal.

I didn't know what I was supposed to say to him as he stepped past Iris on the doorstep, pulling on his jacket as he walked down the pathway and heading to his car but I waved when he paused just long enough to turn around.

"Bye-bye, Gee!" Summer called out at the top of her lungs, waving alongside me with her chunky hand and Gerard's teeth flashed in the sunlight as he smiled, getting into his car and driving away.

Iris and I stood in silence for a moment, both looking at the space where his car was with neither of us having any clue of what we were supposed to say. I didn't know how to explain to her what had happened that night and I certainly hadn't expected what was easily the two most important people of my past to casually bump into one another at my front door. The look on Iris's face said she hadn't expected it either and the confused frown she wore as she turned back to me said almost everything on her mind.