Chapter Two

Lainey's POV
San Diego, California

'And next up on Rock Radio we have the latest band to make an out of the blue shoot to stardom, My Chemical Romance and their hit Teenagers! If you want to hear more of this theatrical punk-rock band be sure to check out their new album, The Black Parade!'

I was fine with the opening guitar but as soon as I heard a voice I reached forward and turned the radio onto another station, I was still struggling when it came to hearing about the band and tried to avoid it as much as I possibly could. They show up on tv, I change the channel. If it's a billboard, poster or some other ad like that I put on some glasses and look the other way, basically pretend my hardest that it's not actually there.

"Mommy, I like them." The words came from the backseat and a smile crept onto my face, I couldn't help but love her little voice, it was just so cute.

"Who do you like, sweetheart?" I asked, Summer had an active mind, very, very active and for all I knew she could be talking about things ranging from her imaginary friends to the guy jogging with his dog on the sidewalk.

"The man on the radio." That was nothing too helpful, it could be the person talking right now about the latest market drop or it could have been the singer that come on when we first got in the car. "He's off," she said, a whining tone in her voice and I could sense a hint of oncoming meltdown.

I also understood what she was talking about now, My Chemical Romance, Gerard's band. I've already made it pretty clear what I personally think about the matter so one could only imagine how I feel knowing what my daughter thinks of them, that she adores them. If I were to leave the song on she'd probably sing along to it at the top of her lungs, sure she'd get the majority or lyrics wrong but hey, she was still three and didn't care.

"Do you want me to turn him back on, Sunny?" My fingers couldn't have been more crossed if I tried, I didn't want her to say yes but I wasn't stupid, I knew she would. When I'd hear Summer get excited about a man on the radio, her father, and not know who he was, it made me feel like a horrible mother but I couldn't tell her, not yet anyway.

"Yes." With a sigh I turned the station back on and winced when I was dragged into the middle of the song, unwillingly; kicking and screaming you might say but it still happened.

'The boys and girls in the click, the awful names that they stick. You're never gonna fit in much, kid. But if you're troubled and hurt, what you've got under your shirt. Will make them pay for the things that they did!'

I doing know if I'd ever be ready to tell the truth and let Summer know what I did to Gerard, it was bad enough that I had to deal after more or less ripping his heart out of his chest and eating it in front of him. What I'd done wasn't nice, it'd been downright cruel but in the long run I knew I made the right choice, Sunny and I were doing well. I had two somewhat good jobs, I spoke to my brother and his fiancée all the time, she even babysits and I've got friends, people to talk to.

Gerard was better off for it as well, My Chemical Romance was huge, absolutely huge; even the people that hated them didn't hate them that much. They played all over the country, were either recording a song or touring the world and they basically had dibs on any venue they wanted. In a sorta way I was nearly glad for him despite wanting to bawl my eyes out over everything on occasion, but after four years I'd gotten most of my feelings towards him under control.

"Are you sure you want to listen to this? There's a lot of other songs on the radio if you want something else." Since becoming a mother I'd also realized how violent things could sound despite them seeming completely fine to me it wasn't so great for a three year old who absorbed anything she heard like some kind of human sponge.