Chapter One - Feral

I opened one eye, looking around the room. It was bright, quiet. I moved a little, opening my other eye before sitting up in bed, I memorized the routine I had set for myself yesterday; Take Luna to Tori's, get breakfast and get ready for the initiates up on the roof with Eric. It was this time of the year again, another time of training initiates. I sat up in bed, looking at the clock on Eric's side of the bed, he was still sleeping, his back to me. It was 6:20AM, I had a few minutes to dress and get Luna ready for Tori. I quickly dressed, dressing warm because of it being windy on the roof, slipping on a jacket over my grey shirt. I jumped a little as I slid my legs through my jeans, going barefoot through the corridor towards Luna's bedroom. I opened the door quietly, peaking in, she was still sleeping so I let her have a few more minutes as I gathered some spare clothes, nappies and bottles to put into a bag for Tori.

I left it on the countertop as I fed myself, quickly putting something together as I continued getting ready, putting on socks and some boots, reaching my just under my knees. Just as I was going to get Luna from her room, Eric came into the kitchen, in his boxers, still half naked, he smiled tiredly at me, before grabbing me, dragging me towards him.

"Morning." I said to him just before he leaned down and kissed me quickly, he smiled at me, one of his hands pushing away a strand of my hair, which was now back to it's natural colour. He kissed me again before moving to get something to eat, I turned to watch him for a moment, if a half naked guy who was muscled as hell was in your kitchen, what would you do? He smirked at me, realising I was checking him out, before flexing a little as he moved around, I bit my lip, before leaving the room.

I woke up Luna, and she looked around sleepily, her dummy still in her mouth, I pulled it out before checking her mouth, she had started teething in the recent months, a hard time for the both of us, her with the pain, me with the constant crying. I pick her up from her cot, holding her on my side as I grabbed some of her clothes and a nappy, getting her changed, ready to be fed. She cooed and babbled as I dressed her. I disposed of her dirty nappy and put away her dirty clothes to bed cleaned later, then brought her to the kitchen so Eric could fed her, he loved doing it, since he didn't spend too much time with her for working and such, and she enjoyed it, kicking her legs, bouncing up and down in the seat.

I watched as he fed her, still half naked, what was better than watching you fiancé sitting half naked feeding your child, it was hot. He eventually got up to get dressed, coming back within minutes, his hair gelled back, looking ruthless before the initiates even transferred factions. I grabbed Luna and her bag, waiting for Eric as he put on his boots before rushing out the door behind me, locking up the apartment. He walked with me to Tori's place, we talked for a while with Tori before we had to leave to get ready. I smother Luna with kisses, Eric kisses her forehead before we all but run to the roof, clambering up the many flights of stairs, Dauntless aren't the type for a lift, apparently.

I got to the initiate entrance first, and waited for him to come by, it seemed like we got there with minutes to spare.

He grinned as he obviously swaggered over to me, looking overly cocky, this would probably be the last time for a while I would see him like this in public, knowing that he would change into the cold, calculating Eric that he was the last time around.

I looked over his shoulder to see the incoming training, and jerked my head towards it.

"They're coming." I said, he turned his head to look at it, before looking to me, his face clear of the grin he sported seconds ago, he moved to stand close at my side, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Let's get the show started." I said as I watched the initiates look out of the train before jumping off and gathering in-front of Eric and I. Once they were all gathered, Eric spoke up.

"I'm Eric, one of your leaders, and this is Belle, another leader. If you want to enter Dauntless, this is your way in," He said as I stepped out of the way, showing the hole in the roof that lead to the net, not that they knew that, "If you can't jump, then you don't belong in Dauntless."

"But, what's at the bottom?" An initiate asked, making Eric grin a little, almost sadistically, but I knew better.

"You'll have to find out." He said, "Who's first?" He asked, and then there was silence, until the single Abnegation transfer since Four stood forward, a girl.

"Me." She said, taking off her jacket, causing some jeers from the guys, she hesitates as she looks over the edge.

"Today, initiate." He said, getting impatient. She jumps and we wait for the shout. A minute later, we hear a shout from below.

"First jumper, Tris!" I then turn to the rest of the initiates, "Who's next?" I ask, speaking for the first time to them.

Soon, it's just Eric and I left on the roof, I turn to him.

"Ladies first." He says and I laugh before jumping down, hitting the mat, shouting up at him to come down, seconds later he hits the mat, scooting off it and we both walk down to the Pit, knowing Four would take them there last after they changed into Dauntless clothing, getting rid of any evidence of their old faction.

As the initiates come in, Max gives his typical speech, addressing all the newbies.

"You have chosen the warrior faction, tasked with the defence of this city and all it's inhabitant. We believe in ordinary acts of bravery and the courage that rises one person to stand up for another. Respect that. Do us proud" Dauntless cheer, encouraging the initiates to cheer with them. The rest of the day is getting the initiates set into the routine.

The next morning, I join Four to wake up the initiates, I hand over the metal bat to him with a grin, remembering when he jumped out of his skin when I would wake him up with it, he grasped it and hit the metal bars in the room eagerly.

"I want you all in the Pit, two minutes." He said, we both turn to leave, making our way to the Pit, Eric is already there, the mat already ready for the initiates. Two minutes on the dot, they shuffle their way into the Pit.

"There is two stages to training. The first is physical, pushing your bodies to breaking point and to master combat. The second is mental, facing your fears and learning to conquer them. You're training separately from the Dauntless born, but you're going to be ranked together. Rankings after initiation will determine what jobs you get." He explains, the initiates listening carefully.

"The ranking also determines who gets cut." Eric buts in, the initiates look over at him, confused, I sighed, knowing what was about to be said.

"Cut?" A Candor transfer questions

"Well, there's no going back to your families if you get cut, so you'd live factionless." Eric explains, no patience clear on him. Initiates murmur amongst them.

"Why didn't we know that?" Another asks

"It's a new rule." Eric states, in fact it was there last year, we just didn't tell anyone.

"A new rule? Somebody should have told us that!" The Candor exclaims.

Eric turns to look at her, "Why? Would you have chosen differently? Or out of fear?" He questions, moving towards her slightly, his arms behind his back, "Well, if that's the case, you might as well get out now. If you're really one of us, it won't matter to you that you might fail." He continued, moving back a little, towards a stone block in the middle of the room, sitting down before looking back over at the initiates.

"Now, you chose us, now we get to choose you."