Chapter Two - Machine

The initiates train, working on their techniques, their punches and kicks before the real fights starts. I look around, looking at the initiates, figuring out their weak spots already just from them practicing. I look over at the Abnegation transfer, Tris, and realised that Four was with her, her ranking was in the red, why was he spending time on an initiate who seemed like dead weight. My eyes widen as I see him touch her, moving her around to perfect her stance as she punches the bag. Someone calls for Four and he turns to look in that direction before turning back to Tris, saying something and he leaves, but I notice Tris smiling.

I then turn my attention to actual fight going on in the mat, the Candor transfer and another are going at it, only the Candor transfer is getting beaten, Tris rushes over to the mat.

"Come on, Chris." She says, but I then move my attention away from her, focusing on the two in the mat, Eric is stood beside me, I glance over at him, seeing his not too pleased expression. Candor holds up her hands, stopping herself from getting beaten, the other initiate stops, looking over at us for a second.

"No. Stop. I'm done." Candor says. Eric crosses his arms over his chest, I look over at him, wondering what he was thinking, before I could say something, he speaks up.

"You need to stop?" He says with fake innocence in his voice, the initiate nods her head, and he gives her his hand, she hesitates before taking it and he helps her up, I look at him with wide eyes, wondering what his motive was.

"Eric.." I say and he just glances over at me.

"Thanks.." Candor says, and he nods.

"Alright, everyone, let's take a break." He says and we all walk to the chasm, I'm walking behind Eric and Candor, and I see him place a hand on her lower back, what the hell is he doing? Before I could angrily ask what the fuck her was doing, he grabs her hand and dangles her over the edge of the bridge, causing her to cry out.

"Grab the rail, we're done." He says, she grabs the railing, still dangling, "You have three options, hang there and I'll forget your cowardice, fall and die, or give up. If you give up, you're out." He says, finality in his voice. Candor hangs on, I silently pray that she hangs on, not falling into the chasm, it would be scarring, since it would be the first time I would actually see someone fall into it.

"Come on, Chris!" Tris encourages, Eric glares over at her, she just watches Candor.

"Time." Eric calls out, moving away from the railing, Tris goes over to help Candor over the railing, onto the bridge.

"Dauntless never give up." He says as they all move away, going to their separate ways, I stay stood there, just a few feet away from him. He's still standing there, I look up at him, wondering who I was looking at.

"What the hell did I just witness?" I ask him, "We're supposed to be training them and keeping them safe whilst they're here, not throw them off the most dangerous part of the compound!" My voice rises, my heart pumping fast. He just turns his head to look at me.

"We need the very best this year, no exceptions, just please trust me that I won't purposely kill any of them, no matter how much I want too." He says, almost pleading with me, I sigh then nod. He comes by me and lets an arm wrap around my shoulders, kissing my forehead, we slowly walk back to the Pit, seeing that Four got them with knife throwing. Some of the initiates look over at us, not expecting to see the way Eric was touching me, neither of us had exactly given clues to us being intimate, so seeing Eric with me after he was so threatening to them probably seemed a little shocking to them.

He moves away, watching a specific initiate throwing knifes, he misses the target completely.

"Well, that was pathetic." Eric comments, and my breath hitches, what is he planning now? The initiate stops for a second before replying.

"It slipped." The response was pretty weak, blaming the object instead of himself for poor aiming and grip.

"Well go get it." Eric says, none of the initiates stop what they're doing, probably afraid that Eric would criticize them next.

"What.." The initiate stops, "While they're throwing?" His eyes widen as he dares to look at Eric. Eric sags his shoulders, clearly annoyed with the initiate just back chatting him.

"Are you afraid?" He questioned

"Of being stabbed by an airborne knife? Yeah!" The initiate retaliates and Eric has had enough.

"Everybody, enough!" Eric commands, and everyone stops dead, it's silent for a moment before Eric speaks again, "Stand in-front of the target." Al hesitates for a second before moving over, shuffling a little before standing completely still. Eric looks over to me, before turning his gaze to Four.

"Four. help me out here." Eric says, his eyes back on mine, mine widen as I realise what's about to happen, oh no, please don't do this Eric. He turns back to look at the initiate.

"You're going to stand there whilst he throws these knifes," He holds up a bunch of knives, "And if I see you flinch, you're out." He says and the initiate gulps, preparing himself as Eric hands Four the knives. Four grabs one and puts himself into a stance, readying himself and just before he does, Tris calls out.

"Wait!" She says, both Eric and Four look over at her, I just watch everyone, biting my tongue, "Anyone can stand in-front of a target, it doesn't prove anything." She said, looking Eric in the eye, his jaw clenches then stops.

"Then it shouldn't be hard for you to take his place," He said to her, his eyes locked on hers, "Same rules apply, Stiff." He says as she moves, the initiate there before quickly moving out of the way. Four throws the first knife, it hits the target beside her leg.

"Oh, come on Four, you can do better than that." Eric grins, goading Four. Four throws another knife, hitting the target beside her head.

"A little closer." Eric says, Tris just looks straight ahead.

"You want me to give her a trim?" Four smirks at Eric, but I know he's just playing with him.

Eric shrugs, "Just a little off the top." He says and Four throws the knife, and it lands just above Tris's head, then throws another, and it cuts her ear, a little bit of blood trickling down her neck. She touches it.

"Watch it." Eric seethes, "We train soldiers, not rebels. You've gained some points, but not as much as you lost for opening your mouth." He says, "We're done for today, get out." He instructs and all the initiates leave, Four not far behind them. I just stand there, looking at the target that Tris was just stood at, seeing the single speck of blood on the floor.

"Hey." Eric says and he steps over to me, "Sorry you had to see that, but I had to teach her a lesson." He says and I nod, looking over to him.

"You were right." I state, my voice void of emotion, "We train soldiers, not rebels." I said, nodding to him. He tries to smile at me but it seemed forced. He puts an arm around my shoulders and leads me home, we ignore everyone around us, just focusing on us and us alone.