Chapter Sixteen - Pigtail

I hummed to myself and I played with Luna's hair, her hair had grown a little longer and thicker in the months since her birth, almost long enough to tie out of her face, but for now I settle on just pushing it out of her eyes every so often. Life in the factionless section of the city wasn't so bad, if it wasn't for the fact we were residing with Four's mother, we'd have no privacy, most of the residents lived in the stone walls, no doors or windows, it was all out in the open, strange really, but I couldn't pick at it seeing as most of them had no choice in the matter.

"She's so pretty." I jumped when I heard Four's mothers' voice behind me, I turned to find her standing in the doorway, her arms crossed over her chest, she was smiling a little so I wasn't worried, yet.  She made me a little on edge. There was something about her I couldn't put my finger on. I smiled to her, and nodded my head.

"She's a beauty indeed." I whispered, my fingers twirling Luna's hair around as she sat up on my lap, my legs bouncing a little. Four's mother moved from the doorframe and come to sit close to us, she continued to look at Luna before her eyes shot to me.

"I must know," She started, her hands now cupping her knee to the leg that was on-top of the other, leaning forward towards me and Luna, "Why is it that you came all the way out here now?" I just stared at her for a moment.

"If you were and me and Luna was Four, would you stay at Dauntless or Erudite, not knowing if your child could possibly be the future target towards those people?" I asked her, my eyes flaming with the anger and fear I held inside, she just stared at me, watching my every move, "Even if Eric knew and partially participated, I knew he was only doing it so I and Luna wouldn't come to harm via Jeanine and her lackeys." I explained, my fingers suddenly in Luna's grip, I looked down at her to see her gripping them in her fists, as if trying to bring them to her mouth, I knew she would be starting to teeth soon so I let her chew to put her mind off the uncomfortable sensations she must've been feeling.

Four's mother cleared her throat before standing, "Can I take it that you're on our side in this war?" She asked and I nodded.

"Don't expect Eric to come by willingly, he and Four don't have the best relationship." I explain and she nods before leaving the room. I sigh, glad that it's over and I don't feel so on edge anymore, she just creeps me out. I pick Luna up and head out of the home, looking around at all the people who once were in factions, now together, living and working in harmony, unlike the faction leaders say, people from different factions can work together, maybe it was time for the factions to seize to exist and maybe then the Divergents can live in peace, without being hunted.

I walk past the guards that have taken place outside the residence we've come in sleep and live in for the time being, and look around for Eric, no doubt he'd be with Four and Tris, probably going over everything that was Erudite and Jeanine related. I didn't have to look far to find them, they were all huddled over a stone table, Eric's glare focused on the table and not Four and Tris,

"What's going on?" I asked, making them all look in my direction, Tris had got her usual helpless look on her face, but her eyes are bright with fire, almost as if she's prepared for whatever is going, but I know her, she's terrified. She's scared she'll fail.

"We're trying to find a way into Erudite so we can get to Jeanine, but Eric is saying that it's impossible." Four explained and I nodded my head.

"There's gates just in-front of the door that scan you, scans whether you're divergent and what faction you're in, I don't know about the rest of the entrances or exists but if you're looking for attention, they're you're way in." I say, moving Luna to my hip, her head moving around, looking at the surroundings. Tris looks down, and I know she's deep in thought, obviously got her own plan going on.

"Sorry," I shrug, "But Eric was telling you the truth there." I back him up and I see a small smirk on his lips.

"Look's like we'll have to keep thinking." Four says before walking away, leaving Tris with Eric and I, I turn my eyes to her.

"You already have something don't you?" I ask her and she jumps, not expecting me to say anything to her. She looks between Eric and I before gulping and nodding.

"I'm going straight to her the easy way, by giving myself up. It's me she wants, it's me she's getting." She says before walking away, but stops to turn, "And don't tell Four." She adds before rushing away, I look over to Eric and shrugs.

"She's not our problem, if she's feeling suicidal, let her go." He says before moving closer and taking Luna away from me, "Now, how about we take this one outside and let her look around and perhaps play outside with her for the first time, who knows when we have this chance next." He says, grasping my hand and leading me out of the makeshift compound. I look around for any travelling Dauntless but find that there's nobody around, this place is pretty secluded and well-hidden, so we shouldn't have any problems for now.

Eric places Luna on her feet, keeping a hold of her hands, keeping her on her feet and slowly guiding her around the patches of grass and split concrete. I watch them both bond, not being able to shake a feeling off me, something is going to happen and I don't know what it is.

And, for the first time in a while, I'm scared that I can't do anything to stop it.