Chapter Seventeen - Forest

I sat on the kitchen counter in the Eaton household in the factionless compound, Eric just mere feet away, looking down at the Erudite map on the table in-front of him, I was biting my lip as I realise how hot he actually was, a piece of his hair had moved from it's usual slicked back style, and it had grown out a little, not that either of us was bothered. He wasn't wearing his jacket as usual either, his muscled arms on show, it was like he was teasing me, but his mind was on getting inside the Erudite compound without getting caught, not thinking about what Tris had said previously. I was watching him look at the map, he moved his arms so they was holding the edges of the table, his grip tight.

"If you're going to tease me like this will you take me to bed already.." I blurted, my cheeks suddenly getting warm, I watch his lips form into a smirk before he looks over to me.

"What do you mean?" He asked, his voice taunting me.

"You know what you're doing and it's not fair." I said, pushing my lips out into a pout, his eyes move to them for a split second before he looks back at the map.

"Then you know what you to do to me all the time." He said, his tone of voice changed into a more serious one, "I may have found my way in.." He says, folding the map back up before moving from the table and over to me, leaning against me, pinning me to the counter.

"Yours?" I raise my eyebrow at him, "I'm coming too.." I say and he shakes his head at me, kissing my lips quickly before making his way to the door, probably to find Four, "What do you mean no?" I follow him, wondering why he wouldn't want me to come with.

He quickly turns, a sober expression on his face.

"I need you with Luna, so I can relax and know you're both safe." He said, "I'm close to begging that you listen to me at least this time." He said, referring to when I saved his life when Four was a finger twitch away from putting a bullet in his head. I crossed my arms over my chest, glaring at him.

"Don't bring Luna into this." I said, my voice wavering a little, "That's not going to fly by with me, not when you nearly died last time you told me to stay behind." I argue to him, he sighs, his fingers pinching his nose in annoyance.

"Can you please do this one thing for me, I promise nothing will happen, I will leave if I have to, to come back to you both, but please stay here with the others who aren't capable of going, not many are staying behind but please just do this." He begs quietly, almost whispering, I sigh, my eyes watering, my vision blurred before nodding.

He comes over and pulls me to him, wrapping his arms around me and hugging me tightly, his head leaning on-top of mine, my arms move from being pinned between us and go towards his neck, pulling him just that little bit closer. His hands move to rub up and down my back, comforting me. He pulls back after a few minutes, kissing my forehead before leaving me there, finding Four. I choke on a breath before going to Luna, who's asleep in our room in a pillow-fort I made on the bed, keeping her secure so she wouldn't fall off.

She was still asleep when I made my way to her, her eyes slowly moving behind her eyelids, dreaming. I let her sleep some more, knowing I wouldn't tonight, I knew everyone would want to get to Erudite as soon as possible, leaving without a few hours at the earliest. I pull the hair-bobbles off my wrist, and tie them around the tufts of her dark hair, giving her pigtails, I weakly smile before leaving her alone again, looking out of the window, watching people rush around the compound, Eric and Four are speaking to each other and they both nod before going their separate ways, but I notice Tris in the background of all the commotion, her eyes meet mine for a second before she leaves the compound, the breath catches in my throat as I realise she had taken her word seriously.

She was going to give her self up before anyone could storm into the compound.

I don't move, I can't move.

She left in daylight and nobody noticed, they were all too busy getting themselves prepped. I just hoped she knew what she was doing, and that she survived whatever Jeanine was going to put her through in the time it takes for everyone else to get ready. I hear the door open and shut downstairs, I rush away from the window and sit beside Luna, making it seem like I was just watching her, not witnessing Tris give up her life for us.

I look up and see Eric slowly moving to sit in-front of me, his eyes move to Luna before settling on me.

"We're not leaving for a while, our weaponing isn't ready, and we're just getting the tracking bullets out of people, one just fell out of a kid." He informed me, when we realised that people who had been shot at Candor had tracking and controlling mods in them, we had been trying to figure out how to get them out, only to realise that if we tried, it would cause immediate death, so we stopped until we could figure out a way, but it seemed that wasn't needed anymore.

"That's good." I whisper, he nods.

"Four's going to look for Tris and tell her the same." Eric and said and I didn't say anything, knowing Four wouldn't find Tris until it was too late to get her back, she'd was probably already half was there by now, she was quick at travelling.

"I just hope she'll be okay." I say, Eric nods and looks at me.

"Four won't let Jeanine get her hands on Tris, just like I wouldn't let them get you or Luna." He says, leaning towards me and kissing my cheek, before walking away again.

Four unknowingly already let her slip from his fingers.