Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Sergeant Drake Daemon reporting for duty, sir," I said, with a crisp salute, as I entered the general's office. I assumed the attention position and stood waiting for his reply.

The general looked up and studied me for a minute, then he spoke softly. "You do not match your reputation, Sergeant Daemon. According to the people I have asked, you are a thousand meters tall and wear a necklace made of your victim's skulls."

"I am in disguise, sir."

The general chuckled. "Relax, and have a seat," he said, as he opened a file on his desk. "Do you know why I requested you for our outfit?"

"No, sir."

He began to read from my file. "Trachoir III: Medal for Bravery awarded for single-handedly reversing the outcome of a Spinner attack. Vega IV: Medal of Valor for holding ground in the face of overwhelming odds. Silf III: Medal of Honor, and Purple Heart for accomplishments above and beyond the call of duty. Tanameer V: Bronze Cluster for bravery. Yaniff III: Bronze Cluster for valor and Purple heart. Lis'en III: Silver Cluster for bravery..." He went on to list all of the fifteen engagements in which I had been involved. "You have survived fifteen engagements, and four promotions, in one year. Medals for bravery, valor, and honor, all with bronze and silver clusters awarded. Five Purple Hearts earned. All of this was accomplished in your first year of service. Is it true you were the only survivor on Silf?"

"No, sir, our charge survived as well."

"Son, you are exactly the kind of soldier we look for. You are the kind of soldier that puts his duty above all else. When your career was brought to my attention, I sent the request out."

"Thank you, sir. I will try and do your faith honor."

"Welcome to the Space Rangers. Report to Colonel Fandier, with the Twenty-first Battalion. He will get you tagged in and equipped. I am giving you the recon platoon."

"Yes, sir."

"Dismissed."

I left the office and moved across the base. The signs were well laid out so I could find my new battalion. I entered the battalion office and signed in. A blond female lieutenant guided me to the colonel's office.

"Sergeant Drake Daemon reporting for duty, sir."

"Relax and take a seat, sergeant. I assume you have already reported to the general."

"Yes, sir."

He smiled when he looked up. "You are going to find life in the Space Rangers a bit different. We are sent in to the hotspots with orders to pacify them. You won't be surprised by being shot at. You will be expecting it. This battalion recon platoon was devastated in our last engagement, and we are rebuilding it. Do you think you can whip forty-one new soldiers into shape in two weeks?"

"Sir, I will whip them in shape. I hate writing condolence letters."

He nodded and hit a button on his communications panel. "Command Sergeant, Sergeant Daemon is here. Get him outfitted and ready for his platoon."