Chapter 68

Chapter 68

The time had finally arrived. I stood in front of my mirror in my full dress uniform, with my medals on full display. I hated this suit. I looked like a walking memorial wall. The rank insignia on my collar sparkled in the light. It was a cluster of five diamond shapes in a circle surrounding a single pentagon. The only concession to the occasion was the single white flower in my lapel.

I had chosen not to wear my weapons. This was a wedding and no man should approach his wedding under arms.

I stepped out of our room, and a full honor guard formed up around me. I would be escorted by a team of officers from the various branches of the military.

I was led out the front door to the palace, where a military limousine was waiting. This would take me from the living area to the throne hall.

Once there, I moved onto the front steps of the building and waited. I did not have to wait long. A grand carriage pulled by six blaze-white horses moved towards me. In the carriage were Lizell and her parents. I could not believe the expense the emperor had assumed. The carriage was custom made. It was all white, lacquered, and trimmed in gold. The horses where bridled in the same blaze-white and gold trim. Even their hooves had been painted gold for the occasion.

The carriage pulled in front of the steps and two of my honor guard stepped towards it. They opened the door and Lizell's parents stepped out. They stood to each side and Lizell stepped out after them. She wore a dress of pure silk and lace. I was nearly struck blind by the beauty of the woman before me.

Her father took her arm and then her mother took mine. We were led into the throne room. The crowd in the throne room was flabbergasting. The uniformed soldiers and Praetorian Guard sat on one side, while the nobles and Lizell's family sat on the other. Even the girls of Momma Kita's were in attendance. Robert had found out about them from Angel's reports and insisted they be brought in. The imperial family sat to one side.

Robert stood in front of the alter waiting for us to take our slow walk up the aisle.

When the four of us stood in front of the emperor, he spoke in a clear voice. "Who brings the suitor to stand before me?"

"I, Beatrice Stanner, bring His Grace, the Grand Duke of the Eastmarch, Drake Daemon, before you, your majesty. He seeks permission to be bonded to the woman who holds his heart."

"Thank you, Grand Lady Beatrice Stanner."

Lizell's mother let go of my arm and I took a step forward.

Robert looked at me and spoke again. "Your Grace, do you seek the permission of the emperor to be bonded in title and rank to the lady before us?"

"I seek permission and bonding in the eyes of all the witnesses present, your majesty."

Robert then turned to look at Lizell and her father. "Who brings the bride-to-be to stand before me?"

"I, Ezekiel Stanner, bring my daughter, Lizell Stanner, before you to answer the suit of His Grace, Drake Daemon."

Lizell's father then let go of her arm and she stepped forward to stand beside me.

Robert looked into her veiled face. "Grand Lady Lizell Stanner, the Grand Duke Drake Daemon has sued for permission to seek thy hand. Do you so consent for this union to take place in this place and at this time?"

"I consent to this union, your majesty."

Robert once again turned to me. "Your Grace, will you please repeat after me. 'I, Grand Duke Drake Daemon, stand humbled before the Grand Lady, Lizell Stanner. I seek your hand in the bonds of marriage, giving unto thee all that is mine. To thee I pledge my heart and love in all things.'"

I repeated his words. "I, Grand Duke Drake Daemon, stand humbled before the Grand Lady, Lizell Stanner. I seek your hand in the bonds of marriage, giving unto thee all that is mine. To thee I pledge my heart and love in all things."

Robert then turned to Lizell. "Grand Lady, will you please repeat after me. 'I, Grand Lady Lizell Stanner, take thee, Grand Duke Drake Daemon, as my husband. To thee I pledge my heart and love in all things.'"

Lizell repeated his words. "I, Grand Lady Lizell Stanner, take thee, Grand Duke Drake Daemon, as my husband. To thee I pledge my heart and love in all things."

Robert looked over the crowd and spoke clearly. "I speak now the words, which are the greatest honor a man can be asked to share. Do you both take each other to heart, promising to be equals? Further promising to keep thyselves only unto each other until death do you part?"

We both said those final words together. "I do."

Robert turned to face me again. "Do you have the ring?"

"Yes, your majesty," I said, as I pulled the ring out of my pocket.

"Then you may place the ring on her finger and repeat after me. 'With this ring, I give you all that I am.'"

With trembling hands, I slipped the ring onto Lizell's finger. "With this ring, I give you all that I am."

Robert then turned to Lizell. "Do you have the ring?"

"Yes, your majesty," she said as she pulled the ring out of the little pocket in her glove.

"Then you may place the ring on his finger and repeat after me. 'With this ring, I give you all that I am.'"

With rock steady hands she slipped the ring onto my finger. "With this ring, I give you all that I am."

Robert smiled as he looked out to the crowd around us. "Then I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride."

I reached out and with trembling hands I lifted her veil. Her radiant smile captured me, as we came together for our first kiss as husband and wife. I tried for a chaste kiss that would not draw snickers from the crowd. Lizell was having none of that. I learned that my wife could hold her breath forever that day. Our kiss went on and on until I thought I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen.

When we finally broke, we turned to face the crowd.

"With the power vested in me by the people of the empire, I now give you Their Graces, The Grand Duke and Duchess of the Eastmarch, Drake and Lizell Daemon." Robert said this in a theatrical voice to the crowd.

The cheer that went up was a roar loud enough to be embarrassing. It almost covered up the sound of the explosion.