Chapter 56

Chapter 56

"Why did you go and saddle me with a title?", I asked, as the other members of my family, including Lizell and Lorelei sat around the emperor's living room and laughed.

"Because someone had to fill the spot and I didn't want to put up with all the lesser nobles fighting to be the one. Besides, Drake, you are a noble now and it is your duty to continue your line."

"I am going to have to send people to safe-search her palace to make sure I can walk in without being blown to pieces."

"Send in the Space Rangers. You're in charge of the military."

"That is abuse of power."

"No, it isn't. You are a noble going into an unknown situation. You have the right to request military support."

"Who would I request the support from?"

"You send an official request to the Supreme Marshal," Robert said, then started to chuckle.

"You are having way too much fun with this."

Robert controlled his laughter. Then he placed his hands on my shoulders. "You are my brother by choice. I need nobles around me I can trust. Too many of the noble families are just interested in what power they can grab. Not once have you asked or sought the power you have earned. Not once have you abused any of it. You have trained yourself in every military technique. You have trained yourself to be a computer hacker and a spy. You have trained yourself in every form of combat anyone can think of. The only reason you did any of this was to support the empire. Drake, if my father were alive he would adopt you, and put you on the throne instead of me. Be my Grand Duke of the Eastmarch. You will be the political leader responsible for quadrant three of the empire."

"If I didn't love you like a brother, I would hit you right now."

"Then it is settled. Now what are your plans for the near future?"

"I am going to put MI on the search for the duchess's headman. I think he can still be a problem. I am also going to send a few battalions of the Space Rangers and regular military to my new palace in the Eastmarch."

"What about Lizell?", he asked, as he looked past me.

"I have a plan for her, and I need your help with it. Can we talk in private?"

"Come my brother -- let us plot your future."

The emperor spoke to me in private for about an hour in his office. When we came out, Lizell looked at me with an arched eyebrow. "What have you two been plotting?"

"My doom, my love."