Epilogue Chapter 3: Birthdays and Surprises

Dinner was nice. Daniel kept telling his motorbike stories and Chloe talked about her boyfriend. I smiled and laughed. It was nice to be surrounded by friends rather than stuffy nobles. 

"So, Drake."

I looked up from my food as Robert spoke.

"What are your future plans for the duchy?"

I set down my fork and looked at my brother.

"Once I am done making the capital planet better, I plan to expand the remodeling to other planets. I also want to increase the law enforcement and train them to be better. This will provide many jobs, but will also displace many once the project is done. I am also lowering taxes in order to give people spending money and stimulate the economy."

Robert nodded. He then looked at Chloe. "Go ahead and ask him."

She nodded and turned towards me. "Uncle Drake?"

"Yes?" I smiled.

"Will you let me go back to Eastmarch with you to learn about how to rule?"

I raised my eyebrow. "What happened to wanting to do a tour?"

She looked down. "Daddy convinced me that it was too risky and that this way I could learn how to rule at a smaller stage first rather than learning a lot all at once."

I stroked my beard. Yes, I did like doing that. "Hm. Let me think about it overnight and I'll give you my answer."

She smiled. Liz nudged my leg with her thigh. I knew what her answer was going to be, but I also had to think of all sides of the argument and then also up the security. I would need to talk to Spassus and Crowley about the security. 

When dawn broke the next day, I had my answer.

"Chloe, I would love for you to accompany me back to Eastmarch. We have a couple extra bedrooms that you could stay at."

Chloe squealed and threw her arms around me. Losing the fight to breathe, I started to cough. Chloe let go thankfully. 

"When will we be leaving?" She asked.

"Well, I will say a week because we still have your little brother's birthday to celebrate." I said, placing my hand on her shoulder. "But knowing your father, I will be staying longer."

The week had passed by quickly, filled with celebrations and meetings. I spent my evening talking to Robert and Chloe about the details of Eastmarch and my nights relaxing and talking with Liz.

Surprisingly, Robert made me go as soon as possible. On the airstrip with the family, we said our goodbyes.

As I hugged Asta, she whispered in my ear. "Liz has a surprise waiting for you at home, Drake."

Puzzled, I looked at her. Her eyes were filled with mirth. Women, I thought, shaking my head, are puzzles.