Chapter 22

Chapter 22

The large shuttles both came in on a clean landing vector. My men kept the patrols and radio contact with each checkpoint maintaining constant radio contact. The shuttles came in and made a perfect landing.

I watched as the Praetorian Guard exited the imperial shuttle and moved out to check the compound. The black-haired woman came towards me. "Colonel Daemon, status report."

"All access onto the grounds has been secured. All non-essential personnel have been removed. The explosives sweep has been conducted twice."

"The Praetorian Guard will do a third sweep and personnel check."

"I would expect no less."

It was an hour of boredom as they conducted their sweep. Then the lady was escorted off of her shuttle. Once she was on the ground the Praetorian Guard started bringing out the prince.

I watched the lady's personal guard as they waited with her. It was a slight movement that caught my eye. My reaction was a split second too late.

As a group, the lady's guardsmen pulled their weapons and opened fire on the Praetorian Guard. I was in motion and drawing my pistol before the sounds of the shots fully registered. "Space Rangers, secure the package. We have rats in the henhouse. The lady's guard have broken covenant."

As I ran I saw the lady's guards grab her arms from behind. One of them put his gun to her head as others went for the prince. Men were starting to move all around me as they broke location to move on the guard.

I raised my rail pistol and squeezed the trigger as I ran. The two guardsmen headed for the prince went down hard and fast. The prince was too stunned to move.

The guard holding the lady started to turn towards me. I leveled and fired again. The round passed through the lady's hair, then plunged into the face of the man behind her. My next shot took the guard on her other side.

The Guardsmen and the prince started to break for cover as I continued my dash. I saw more of the Praetorian Guard coming off the shuttle.

I arrived just as one of the enemy popped up from behind the landing gear of the shuttle. I dove across and in front of the prince. The rail round slammed into my armored vest, knocking me out of the air.

As the enemy shifted his weapon to target Astalynn, I pulled my trigger. My shot was dead on.

I rolled to my feet. "Both of you get behind me, now!"

The people I would later come to know as Asta and Robert broke their stasis and moved behind me.

The area beneath the lady's shuttle suddenly became a beehive of rail rounds as my men opened fire, trying to give us cover. I was about to back Robert and Asta towards Robert's shuttle when I saw the trail of smoke leave the other shuttle. The rocket plunged into the engine housing of the imperial shuttle.

"Back towards the big hanger!", I shouted over the buzz of rounds flying through the air.

As we moved back, I was suddenly flanked by a wall of Praetorian Guardsmen. They were forming a living shield for the package. I spoke over my bob to my men. "Make a strategic withdrawal to the large hanger on the south end. Establish a defensible perimeter and give covering fire.

I watched as my men made a leapfrog withdrawal. They were keeping the hail of rounds going, but I knew they would run low soon. I looked at the praetorian guardsmen on either side of me. The one on my immediate right had a sniper rifle on his back. "Give me that weapon."

He hesitated only a split second before un-slinging it and handing it to me. I holstered my side arm and pulled the large rifle to my shoulder. Then I stopped walking.

I cleared my head and slowed my breathing. I took careful aim at my target. I ignored the man who had risen to target me. I squeezed the trigger gently and heard the light chuff of the weapon. I watched as hydraulic fluid started to spray out of the cylinder I had hit. Then I felt the round slam into my chest. My vest slowed the round so it did not penetrate, but the impact was like a sledgehammer.

I fell backwards and again raised the rifle to my shoulder. I took aim again and squeezed the trigger. A second cylinder started to spray hydraulic fluid. Then the sledgehammer hit me again. This time I felt ribs give way and a pain in my chest that told me I had a punctured lung.

I shifted my aim again and targeted the third cylinder. The back half of the shuttle was already lowering. My third round took the last cylinder and the landing gear started to retract into the shuttle. The men underneath it would have to flee or have a shuttle sitting on them in a few seconds.

Another round slammed into my chest. I fell back and lost my grip on the rifle. I managed to roll onto my side and draw my pistol. Then the first of our enemy came out, trying to flee. I pulled the trigger and blew his leg off. My sight was blurring -- I had aimed for his head.

I felt more rounds slam into me. One caught my right leg and ripped through like a hot knife through butter. I raised my pistol again and aimed as best I could. The fleeing men were being picked off but I knew there were still men on board the craft. I was having trouble keeping my gun pointed as I aimed. Finally I pulled the trigger and watched as the windshield of the shuttle exploded into shards. Then I sank into blissful unconsciousness.