Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Sergeant Major Daemon, for heroics above and beyond the call of duty we owe you another cluster. The problem is you already have gold clusters on all of your medals. It is the decision of this review board, we will award you rank in place of the medals you so richly deserve. We ask that you turn in your pins and accept the rank of Lieutenant."

I stepped forward and detached my pins from my collar. Then I held still as the two-star general pinned my gold bars in place. The general stepped back and I saluted him crisply. His return salute was filled with pride.

He then turned to the crowd of men who stood in formation. "Space Rangers! Salute the newest officer in our corps!"

I turned to face the men who had followed me into battle over the five years I had been a space ranger. Their salute was crisp and perfect, as they all stood at attention.

I was proud of my men. We had held Abraxis V with no support for more than a week. My career was six years in and I had made an officer by climbing the ranks. I would be second in command of a company of men now.

After the soldiers were dismissed, my new captain came up to me. "Drake, there is a party in the officer's club for you this evening. Will you be joining us?"

"I would be honored, ma'am."

For the first time in my life, I walked through the doors of the officer's club. This was a different type of place. First of all, the officers were as thick as thieves at a jewelry show. Second, there were civilian women here who were looking for a little fun with the officers. Usually, they were looking for a future husband. They did dally until they found their mark, though. I had no sooner entered when a young blond latched onto my arm. "You must be Lieutenant Daemon. I heard you were a thousand meters tall and ate rail gun rounds for breakfast."

"I am on vacation right now," I said, as I smiled at her.

"Why don't you buy me a drink and we can get to know each other."

I must have had every officer in the club shake my hand that night. The young lady's name was Grace. She introduced me to a bunch of the officers I did not know. She seemed to know just about everyone.