Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Three days later my unit was in orbit around Stenis III. We were not sure what we would find down there. The planetary communications had stopped two days ago. Our company and seven others were dropping in to investigate.

"Lieutenant Daemon, I want you to take half the company and move to these hills to the south of our landing site. I need eyes to tell me what is ahead of us."

"Yes, ma'am. Watch your back."

She smiled. "I have been through battles before."

Our launch was effortless, as the fast drop shuttles took us in. The landing was rough, but we all made it. My two platoons headed out to the south and we started our job.

We had been moving for about fifteen minutes when I heard the incoming mortars. I scattered the men to make us harder targets but the mortars went right over our head. They were headed for the main part of the recon force.

I activated the bob in my ear. "Recon force! Incoming mortar fire! Scatter! Scatter! Scatter!" Three seconds later, the muffled explosions a mile away started.

I started my force on a double-time run towards the hills. The fire had come from them. As we ran, my bob activated. "This is recon force. We are pinned down behind a small ridge line. Can we get air support?"

"Negative, recon force, we are taking missile fire and cannot launch," came back from the carrier.

"This is Lieutenant Daemon to Emperor's Delight, pull back until you are out of range of the missiles. My force is within striking distance of the enemy forces. Recon force, hold on and stay alive."

As I spoke, we arrived at the base of the hill. There were two gun emplacements which opened up on us instantly. I heard and felt the screams of my men. I pulled out my rail pistol and took aim. A light squeeze of the trigger and a round screamed into the open gunner's port for one emplacement. The gun fell silent as I rolled out of position. The area where I had been standing was ripped apart by rapid-fire rail rounds.

I popped up and took aim. This time I popped the other nest. Then I rolled again as the first one opened fire. I needed something besides small arms fire, or this was going to take forever. After my third shot I rolled up to one of my men. I could not identify what was left of him, but his grenade launcher was intact. When I popped up this time, I pulled the trigger on a rocket-propelled grenade. The front of one of the emplacements exploded in fire and rubble.

My roll this time was delayed, and it nearly cost me my life. I felt the round tug at my leg, and when I came to a stop I looked down to see the neat hole through my boot. The round had passed through harmlessly but it had been really close. The second grenade sped forth and took out the other emplacement.

"I want that property, soldiers!", I shouted, and men came out of the jungle to charge up the hill. At the same time, insurgents charged down the hill. My pistol sang until it ran out of power. Then I drew my combat knife. It took us ten minutes to get to the top of the hill. Once there I un-slung the grenade launcher from my back and pointed it at the mortar launchers.

I pulled both triggers and let the grenades fly. The mortar crews had tried to abandon their weapons, but they were too late. The grenades ripped the nest into a tattered crater filled with parts. Then I looked around for a head count. There were five of us left.

Eighty-five men charged the hill. Five walked back down. I activated my bob again. "Recon force, the mosquitoes have been swatted."

"Thank you, Patrol, state status and condition."

"Five of us own the hill, ma'am. We are searching for wounded."

"I will send support."

"Negative, ma'am. Recon never gives ground. We will hold."

Five hours later, three other carriers jumped in with a shit-load of men. Two weeks and the planet had been pacified and the rightful government freed. Insurgents had taken them hostage and destroyed the relay satellite.

I was in charge of the force that went in after the leader of the insurgents. It was a fight but not much of one. They had been cut off from all support and we had solid supply lines. I came out of the bunker with Admon Quaid in chains. I had captured the supreme leader of the Spinners.

"Captain Drake Daemon, please step forward."

I stepped forward and saluted the man in front of me. He was the Grand Marshal of the military. He returned the salute crisply. "Captain Drake Daemon, for services to the empire above and beyond the call of duty, I have been directed by the emperor to award you the Imperial Medal of Honor. Through your actions, and the men under you command, you saved the lives of over three hundred men and women."

"Thank you, sir," I said, as he pinned the ultimate award to my chest.