Chapter 7 - The Truth Hurts

Chapter 7 - The Truth Hurts
---------------------------------------

It occurs to me that I haven't seen Kayleigh for days. She's been avoiding me, I can tell. It's Sunday, and she's away with another friend who I've never heard of. I tried calling her, but she wouldn't answer, just send me a text saying she would talk to me when she got home, whenever that was. I have so much to tell her about Chase. I have a feeling that she just won't care though. I mean, if she did, she would be here, wouldn't she? Anyway, we have school tomorrow, so I'm pretty sure she'll be back soon. I empty all of my school books onto my bed, and get started with some assignments that are due in next week. It's easy enough, and I'm done within a few hours, when a head pops around my bedroom door.

"Hey," Mom says, smiling. "I've not seen you all weekend."

"I know," I say, feeling guilty. "C'mere, I need to talk to you."

She walks in, shutting the door behind her, and plonks herself down on the small couch. I've not told her about Chase yet, and this is as good a time as any.

"Shoot," Mom says, looking at me deeply.

"Okay, well you know Chase?" I begin, fiddling with my thumbs.

"Yes, your boyfriend?" she says, sounding confused.

"No, we're actually not together anymore," I say. Even though I've not spoken to him, and I'm not even sure if he knows whether I know or not, I don't consider us a couple. Obviously.

"What? Why, what happened?" Mom says, coming over to put her arm around me.

"Well, he, uh... he cheated on me," I say. I don't cry, I feel as though I've gotten all of that out of my system. I just feel empty as I say the words.

"He WHAT?" Mom screeches, holding me tighter. "The son of a-"

"Mom!" I cut in. "It's fine, honestly."

"Really?" she asks, not sounding convinced.

"Well, sure I'm upset, but Erica and I spent the weekend together, and I cried a lot... I dunno, I just feel like I'm past it. You know?"

"Yeah, I understand, but this is a big thing to go through Callie," Mom tells me. "Don't let him get away with it so easily."

"Oh, I didn't," I say, pulling out my phone. "Or rather, Erica didn't."

I show her the photo of his car, which I've saved to my photo-stream.

"Erica did this?" Mom asks, hooting with laughter.

"Yup," I nod, grinning. 

"Oh my gosh, do they know it was her?" Mom asks, sounding worried.

"Nah, she covered her footsteps pretty well, I think," I say.

"Well, in other circumstances, I wouldn't like this kind of behaviour, but considering the situation, I'll let it slide. Erica could get in some serious trouble for this, you know?" Mom says, and I nod.

"I know, but she's a clever girl," I say.

"She is that," Mom agrees. "Callie?"

"Yeah Mom?"

"What if he thinks it was you that trashed his car?"

Oh.

"Well, the only way he could accuse me of that, is if he admitted to everyone that he cheated on me, which I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do. It would wreck his reputation. I mean, most of the girls at my school are total morons, but I'm sure they have a bit of common sense not to go out with him if he cheated on me."