Chapter 20 - First Times, Holidays and Shoplifting

Chapter 20 - First Times, Holidays and Shoplifting
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My eyes flutter open, the remains of sleep gone, making me feel extremely awake and aware.

I glace around the room I'm currently in, and I don't recognise a single part of it. It's bright, the sun streaming through the sliding balcony doors, illuminating the pale blue walls and cream carpet. There's a small, dark blue couch in the corner, covered with an array of cushions. I sit up in the double bed I'm in, and notice a familiar body sleeping next to me.

Jace lies beside me, completely oblivious to everything happening outside his sub-conscious mind. I smile at the innocent look on his face. His hair is ruffled from sleep, and it brushes down across his forehead carelessly, and I have to resist the urge to brush the stray hairs away from his eyes. I never noticed it before, but right beneath his left eye is a small birthmark, or scar. It's small, but now that I've seen it, I don't know how I haven't before.

"Like what you see?" his voice asks, breaking me out of my moment of captivation. His eyes lock on to mine, and I grin.

"Nope," I smirk. "You're about average."

"Now, if there's one thing I'm not, it's average," he says, rolling over to pull me down next to him. His strong arms hold me into his chest, and I instantly relax in the warmth he radiates.

"Cocky, are we?" I tease, burrowing into his arms.

"Of course," he says, pressing a kiss on the back of my head. "Good morning, Callie."

"Morning," I sigh. After a few minutes, the two of us fall back to sleep, entwined in each others arms. I dream of Erica, Tyler and Jace. Of my parents. Of Erica's parents. I even dream of Kayleigh, although I doubt I'd ever tell anyone that.

My dreams are a mess of memories and hopes of things to come.

When I wake again, Jace is no longer beside me, and the smell of bacon and eggs frying tugs me in the direction that I assume is the kitchen. I love bacon. I wash quickly in the conjoining bathroom, then follow my nose down a long hallway. I never confirmed it with Jace, but I'm pretty sure we're in Tyler's beach house. From what I've seen so far, it's beautiful. Large windows cover one wall of the hallway I follow, giving me the perfect view of the ocean.

I wouldn't be able to tell you which ocean though. I was never good at geography.

I wander through a doorway, to be greeted by the smiling faces of my travelling companions. "Look who finally decided to wake up!" Tyler teases.

"Dude, it's not even funny, she snored, like, the whole night," Jace grins, standing up from his chair at the breakfast bar.

"I did not," I deny, but for all I know, I could have sounded like a herd of elephants being attacked by machine-guns.

"She totally did," Jace says, greeting me with a kiss. "We cooked bacon and eggs." He tells me.

"Great, I'll have whatever's left," I say, wandering over to Erica and Tyler, sliding into Jace's seat.

"What? You expect me to get it for you?" Jace says, raising an eyebrow.

"Yup," I grin.

"What did your last slave die of?"

"Nothing," I tell him. "You're still alive."

***

After a breakfast mainly consisting of Jace and I teasing each other, we all decided to go for a ride on Tyler's yacht. Tyler, as it turns out, is a pretty avid sailor. His father, who's name I am still yet to learn, makes his living designing and constructing yachts and boats. He started off working as an errand boy, but finally made his way up to the owner of the whole corporation.