Chapter 15 - Kayleigh's POV

----------------------------------------

I leave my meeting with Callie and Jace full of questions.

Of course, I don't ask any of them, I mean, Callie looked like she was going to pop a blood vessel any second. I didn't want to make her any more uncomfortable than I needed to. Jace seemed nice. I'm glad, because I know they're dating - how could I not?

"Hey, Kayleigh, are you gonna shag Jace too?"

"Yeah, or is it gonna be a threesome this time?"

On and on, a never ending stream of insults and snide comments. I deserve them though, I know I do. Even I'm not sure why I did it. To be honest? I think it was because Callie was getting more attention than me, like always. She's always been Mom and Dads' favourite, no matter how hard she, or they, tried to deny it. She's always top of the class, never does anything wrong, gets awards for helping at the children's hospital. She, unlike me, has a never-ending stream of praise.

It's hard to live up to.

Although, I don't quite understand why it's like this. I mean, I'm only two and a half minutes younger than her, and even still I'm sounding like a stereotypical little sibling.

I guess I have a tendency to put my foot in it. Like with Chase.

I should have told Callie from the start. I mean, heck, the day he asked her out he was already acting weird. He cornered me, as I was leaving art.

"Hey, Kayleigh," he said, as I walked out of the art room.

"Hi?" I said, not sure why he was talking to me over Callie.

"Look, I know this is going to sound strange, but, I think I made a mistake with your sister," he said, pinning me against the wall, his hands on the wall either side of my head, smirking seductively.

"What?" I asked, trying to wriggle out of his grasp. As much as I hated to admit it, he was gorgeous, and being that close to him made me want to bed him there and then.

"You heard me, it's you I want," he whispered into my hair, sending tingles down my spine, and butterflies loose in my stomach. Chase wanted... me? "I guess I just got you guys... mixed up, is all. You do look really similar." And although this was obviously a lie, because he called her by her name earlier that day and the comment should have offended me, it didn't. I wanted to be wanted, and I finally was.

But there was still that doubt. "No," I said, finally making sense of the situation. "You can't hurt Callie." Even though my mind was asking me what the hell I was doing, my heart told me to get out of there, for Callie's sake. "She's my sister."

"What she doesn't know won't hurt her," he said, before crashing his lips against mine. I should have stopped him, there and then, but... I couldn't. Granted, I felt absolutely awful for keeping something like that from Callie, but the feeling of finally being better than her overshadowed it. Chase wanted me.

Nobody had ever wanted me over Callie before. She was always the shy one, who came across as mysterious and sexy, whereas I was the shy one who came across as a nerd. But finally, I was better. The rest of the week, I avoided Callie, unable to man up and tell her what I'd done. When the night of her and Chases' date came around, I tried my best to pretend like there was nothing wrong.

I should have told her.

Chase texted me that night, just as Callie and I got home, saying he wished it was me rather than her he was going on a date with. It made me feel unbelievably happy, until I saw Callie after her shower, looking so innocent and sweet. Guilt literally strangled me. I kept up the act though, not letting myself show how bad I felt in front of her. I couldn't.

Of course, Chase doesn't give up that easily, and although I told him I didn't want anything to do with him, he wouldn't take no for an answer. I'm pretty sure we met up every other lunchtime, and after school. I even lost my virginity to him. It made me feel wanted.

It made me feel loved.

Then, there was the day when Jace walked in on us, when we were in the locker-rooms. Chase and I were having sex on one of the benches. I, of course, said we couldn't, but Chase said it was okay. "No one will come in, we'll be fine."

"I don't know Chase," I said.

"C'mon, babe," he teased, stroking my hair as he pulled me close. "You know you want to." And, as much as I hated to admit it, he was right. I did want to. It was fine, just as Chase had promised, until Jace walked in on us.

"Shit," Jace said, turning and closing the door behind him.

"Wait, Jace! Dude," Chase said, jumping off of me, dressing himself quickly. He cursed under his breath as he ran after him. I just lay there, feeling violated. Sure, I was fine with us having sex, but having someone walk in on us? It made me feel totally creeped out.

Chase returned a few minutes later, anger radiating off of him.

"You okay?" I asked, shakily.

"No, I'm not fucking 'okay'," Chase hissed, grabbing his jacket. "This stays between us, got it?"

"Y-yeah," I stuttered, crawling back along the bench. Chase sighed.

"Look, Kayleigh, I'm sorry. I'm just stressed, is all."

"It's fine," I said. He walked out, telling me he'd call me later, and left me sitting in the locker-rooms, where I cried for the rest of lunch.

***

"I talked to Callie today," I tell Mom, briefly.

"Really?" she says, spinning around, dropping the carrot she was peeling.

"Yeah," I say. Mom and I haven't been on the best of terms since she found out about me and Chase. I didn't expect her to understand, but I never thought she'd be this wound up.

"Well, what did she say?" she asks, obviously irritated.

"She didn't say much, but her boyfriend did," I say, not looking her in the eye.

"You met him?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Is he nice?"

"Mom," I sigh, "you've met him before, it's the same Jace she was friends with in middle school."

"Oh," Mom says, eyes brightening up. "I didn't know it was that Jace."

"Yeah, well, it is."

"Do you like him?"

"Mom," I say, sharply. "If you're wondering if I'm going to try and take him off of her, then think again. This whole situation was one huge mistake."

"Well, do you blame me?" she asks, folding her arms.

"Not really," I mutter, before turning and running upstairs. I've been sleeping in the guest room recently, because Callie and my room brings up too many memories, which are shortly followed with guilt. I can't handle it.

I flop down on my bed and go through my meeting with Callie and Jace in my head. Jace told me that Chase only slept with me because he was helping Becky get back at Callie. Considering Callie and Becky have had a long-running feud, it's no real surprise if I'm honest. I didn't, however, think about Chase being the father of her child, that was a shocker.

I'm not happy with Jace and Callies' plan, but if it gives Callie and I a reason to talk again, then I'll do it. But, pretending to be pregnant? It seems a bit... fraudulent? I know what Chase and Becky did sucks, but pretending to be pregnant, then say you've lost the baby? I don't think I've heard the whole story.

Whatever, I'm sure if I just stick with Jace's plan, then I'll be fine. They'll tell me why they're doing it when they're ready.

But I swear to god, this better not go wrong.