Part 2

I lie in bed, exhausted after my first chemo treatment this morning, staring at the ceiling, trying to work out the conversation between Scott and my dad downstairs, who both think I'm asleep.

"How is he after the first session of chemo?" Asks Scott.

I listen closely, but my dad doesn't answer back until after a long pause.

"He's already... Fighting." My dad replies.

Suddenly there's a loud knocking at the door and someone answers it.

"Where is he?!" Shouts a booming voice. Derek.

Heavy footsteps run up the stairs, almost making the house shake. My bedroom door slams open and in the doorway stands Derek with tears streaming down his face.

"Oh, God..." He whispers, looking at me, the pain in his eyes speaking for him.

"Hi." I say quietly, awkwardly. He rushes over to my bedside and crouches beside me. His faces looks sad and almost in pain when he sees me shivering, half tucked under the sheets.

"I'm so sorry." He whispers, welling up.

"It's okay, Derek." I say, my voice weak, locking my eyes in his.

I run a hand through my hair, knowing that within a few weeks it'll be gone.

"How do you feel?" He asks, sounding almost nervous.

"Tired, mostly. Weak." I answer back, peering at the area on my chest the catheta is.

"Oh, God, get some rest..." He says, tucking me up in piles of blankets and sheets.

I nod "thank you", because I don't have the energy to say it. My eyes slowly shut, and then I've entered my dream world, where none of this is happening.

When I wake up, I get out of bed and wrap myself in a blanket and shuffle downstairs.

My dad, Scott, Melissa and Derek all watch me as I slowly sit down in the kitchen, in contrast to them, who are all standing. Melissa gives me a few injections and I get slightly nervous at the sight of more needles. Everyone walks on eggshells around me, constantly checking if I'm okay, making sure I'm warm enough, cold enough, always checking if I'm hungry or thirsty, constantly wanting me to get some rest.

"How long was I asleep for?" I ask, looking at Derek.

"About two hours." My dad answers, checking his watch for clarification.

An awkward silence fills the kitchen.

"Can I go to school tomorrow?" I ask Melissa.

"You only had chemo today, so I would wait until next week before you go in." She suggests, looking at me with pity.

Scott remains quiet, still obviously not coming to terms with everything.

"This isn't fair." He suddenly pipes up, sadness in his voice. I raise an eyebrow at him.

"I mean, it's you, Stiles. You don't deserve this, you...you're innocent, and smart, and kind and-" suddenly his voice breaks and he begins to cry; he leaves the room and runs upstairs.

I stand up to go after him, but Derek gently pushes my shoulders back down.

"I'll go." He says, smiling sympathetically at me.

"Okay then..." I mutter after he's walked off.

"Stiles, don't worry about Scott. I'll talk to him, you just worry about you, and getting better." assures Melissa, her voice soft and motherly.

"Thanks." I say, smiling a smile which doesn't quite reach my eyes.

"Hey, son, you'll be okay." Says my dad. I nod back, although I completely disagree with him.

"Hey, um, I'm gonna go lie down..." I say, slowly standing and making my way to the stairs.