Part 27

My dad drives me home from the hospital and when we get in the house, for once, it's just us. It's kinda nice, though.

"You're sure you don't need to go into work?" I double check as he helps me onto the couch.

"Stiles, I promise. Okay? I'm always at work. I asked Parrish to take care of things today." He tells me, taking a seat next to me, sinking into the cushions as he sits.

"Dad, how're you doing?" I ask my brows furrowed, shuffling slightly closer to him and resting my head on his chest. He drapes his arm around my shoulders, his hand on my back. He gently squeezes me with his arm.

"I'm..." He sighs before continuing. "It's hard, you know? Seeing you like this, no parent ever wants to see their child suffer." He explains, pulling me in even closer. I nod along to what he's saying.

"I'm sorry." I say, "For- for being a burden with this whole thing. I know you're gonna say it's not my fault and stuff, but still." I say, craning my neck to his see his (almost heartbroken) expression.

"Don't be ridiculous, Stiles. I never wanna hear that sorry-crap again, okay? None of this is your fault! Why would you even say that?" He asks defensively, his voice slightly raised. I sigh as I snuggle into his warm chest.

"Sorry." I whisper, and he kisses me on the forehead.

"You know I love you, son." He whispers back.

"I love you, dad." I say, before drifting off in his arms.

***
When I wake, I am stirred by Derek gently shaking me.

"Huh?" I ask, slowly opening one eye, squinting in the light.

"Hey, kid. Uh, I've got all your pills." Smiles Derek softly, placing a glass of water in front of me along with the four pills.

"Oh, thanks. Almost forgot." I say, stifling a yawn.

"Where's dad?" I ask, glancing at where he was previously sat next to me.

"He literally just went out. Realised he hadn't been to the store in a while, the fridge was kinda empty." Says Derek, a hand subconsciously on my back as I swallow the tablets in my palm.

"Eugh." I cringe, flinching at the horrible taste of the pills. Derek smirks at me, before leaning in to kiss me.

"Wait." I say, our lips just inches away. I push him back slightly, my hand on his chest. "This- this isn't right." I say, and his face drops. "Look, before we do anything or go anywhere with this, I need to tell my dad. Sorry." I say, sighing.

"That's okay, don't be sorry." He says, shaking his head, stroking my cheek with his thumb. I half smile at him thankfully. We sit in silence for a bit.

"So, uh, it's Lucy. She, uh, went... Last night." I breathe out, thinking of my 'friend'. Derek's face crumples up, as if in pain.

"Oh, no... I'm sorry, Stiles." He says, rubbing my back. I tilt my head.

"That's okay. It just- it made me think. I know it's probably kinda selfish to be talking about me right now, but..."

"Go on." Prompts Derek.

"It just made realise how close death actually is. Like, when I was told by a boy in the ward, everyone else seemed unsurprised, as if they all knew it would happen. Which, I suppose I did. But, I don't know. Since I got there no one had died, yet." I say, squinting my eyes slightly in thought.

"Stiles, you are not going to die." Derek sternly instructs, his eyebrows raised slightly.

"I might." I whisper, looking up at him. He rolls his eyes.

"No. I won't let you leave." He argues sternly. I sigh, but laugh a little bit.

Then I think of something still playing on my mind. Derek sees my discomfort.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asks, a slight frown on his face.

"Uh, it's just Scott. Y-you never told me what was up with him." I tell him quietly. Derek sighs.

"It's- it's none of my business, I don't really know, anyway. You should talk to him." He says, and a look of guilt washes over his face. I roll my eyes and sigh.

"I haven't seen him much lately. Hey, do you mind telling him to come round soon?" I ask croakily, craning my neck to look at him.

"I can, uh, drop you round, if you want? Not today but-"

"Today's fine. I wanna see him." I cut in.

"Sure?" He asks.

"Yeah, it's no different from being stuck at home." I say.

***

After finally getting in the car and driving to Scott's, the moment we pull up outside somethings not right.

"Derek, the hell is that?" I ask, looking at the bright blue and yellow for sale sign. Derek goes tense next to me.

"You- you should ask him yourself." Says Derek, nodding out of the window. Scott's stood in the door, guilt and heartbreak all over his face. I frown at him in a "WTF?!" way.

He jogs down the drive to meet me though, and helps me out of the car. I clutch his sleeve in fear of falling over - I'm exhausted- and lazily point at the trunk for my wheelchair. Scott leaves me leaning on the car as he quickly runs round to the back and gets out my wheelchair, opening it up mid-air.

"Here." He whispers, once again taking my body and guiding it gently into the chair. He gives Derek a brief nod before turning his attention back to me.

"Thanks." I murmer, pulling my coat around myself slightly tighter. Meanwhile, Derek zooms away in his Camaro.

"That's okay." He half chuckles, but it lacks emotion. The short and silent walk up to his front door is so painfully awkward I'm having to hold my breath.

"Stiles. You okay? Your heart beat just slowed a little." He asks with urgency, and it kinda makes me laugh. I exhale again.

"Oh, yeah, I'm good." I assure him. "Now, can you please tell me why the hell that for sale sign was up?"

A/N omg 4.4k reads!! That is insane!!!! Thank you so much, I'm sorry this was boring but we finally gonna find out wat up w scotty(-: vote/comment !! Ily all sm