Part 16

I sit at my desk and type at my computer, tapping my fingers along the keyboard.

List:

First kiss

And that's as far as I get because all of a sudden, when you want to plan the rest of your life, your mind goes blank.

I think for a moment. I want to get married... Have kids, have a family and grow old, like a normal person. But, just incase, I need to keep this list realistic. I sigh and stare at the bright screen until my eyes get sore.

"Enjoy the little things whilst they're there" I type, but then delete the whole document and snap my laptop shut. I groan.

Suddenly my door creaks open and Derek pops his head round it.

"Hey." I say, not looking at him.

"Hi..." Says Scott's voice. I spin around on my desk chair and face him, an eyebrow raised.

"Hey? I thought you were Derek. What're you doing here?" I ask, standing up and walking over to sit on the bed, motioning for him to sit next to me, which he does.

"Derek's downstairs." He says, glancing at the door. "Do I always need a reason to be here? Other than just wanting to see my friend?" He asks pleadingly. I roll my eyes.

"Of course not, my dear." I joke.

"No but seriously Scott, what's up?" I ask, leaning my elbows on my lap.

"I just realised I've barely seen you recently. Like hospital appointments and stuff- I should be there with you." He says softly, a guilty look manifesting his face.

"Scott, you're my best friend. You don't have to physically be there to be there." I say. "Besides, Derek's been to some chemo sessions and he's always at my house." I mumble, and he laughs half heartedly.

"That's my point. Derek's here all the time, and I'm not. I'm probably doing some lacrosse game or hanging out with Kira when I should be here." He says, gesturing to me and around my room.

I chuckle. "Scott." I say softly, "You don't have to put your whole life on hold so I can have one. Derek... He doesn't really have a life... Or many friends, for that matter..." I say, frowning in effort to think of any of his friends. Scott laughs.

"Stiles, I'm being serious!" He moans, laughing at the same time.

"Okay... Well, I have chemo tomorrow. Stay the night tonight then you'll be here?" I suggest to Scott. He nods.

"Yeah, okay," he considers, "yeah."

🍃🍃

I climb into bed and Scott lies down next to me. We both look at the ceiling. I shiver violently.

"Hey, here." Scott says, and shuffles his body until it's touching mine.

"Thanks." I whisper, embracing the warmth.

We wake up and drive the hospital early in the morning.

When I'm hooked up to the IV, Scott watches an shuffles in his chair uncomfortably.

"Scott, you don't have to be he-" I begin.

"Yes, I do. I want to." He says, nervously looking around at all the other cancer teenagers.

"What's wrong then? Because right now you look as though you could run out of those doors any second now." I say, looking at the Exit doors.

"No, it's just... Hospitals kinda creep me out. You know, the white walls, the smell..." He says. I know exactly what he means.

"I don't like them either, man. But I've learnt to get used to them." I say, sighing at my surroundings.

I lean back and cross my legs over one another, tapping my had on my thigh.

"You okay?" Scott asks, sensing anxiety.

"Yeah, it's just, I have a scan tomorrow..." I say quietly.

"What? Dude, you didn't tell me." Scott says, leaning forward to look me in my eyes.

"I know... I guess I was trying not to think about it." I say back.

"It'll be okay." Scott says, although I don't think either of us believe him.