Part 24

I walk into school after being given a ride from my dad. Going straight to my first lesson, I don't stop when I see Scott and Lydia stood by their lockers deep in conversation. I don't know if they saw me, but I don't really care either.

Sitting through math, Malia throws me a few worried glances; maybe she senses my emotions? I don't know, but I do know I'm feeling shit. Mentally.

"Hey. Stiles." Her voice is stern when she catches me as I try to escape her at the end of the lesson. I stop and sigh then turn to face her.

"What, Malia?" I reply back impatiently, looking straight past her towards my locker.

"What's up with you? Scott and Derek both said you're acting weird." She states, folding her arms across her chest.

"I'm not being weird! Scott's the one being weird! They're the ones organising stupid pack meetings with out me!" I flail defensively.

"That's what this is about? The pack meeting last night?" She cocks an eyebrow as she speaks. I look down to the ground in humiliation, afraid she'll start laughing or something. She doesn't. Instead she places a hand on my arm and strokes it soothingly.

"Stiles, it wasn't even important, okay? It was- like you said- a stupid pack meeting." Her calming voice is low and soft as she speaks.

I glance up slightly and can tell through her eyes she's being genuine.

"Then why did no one even tell me about it?" I ask. "Normally we all have pack meetings together. As a pack." I say glumly.

"Scott was only worried you'd be tired then feel guilty if you hadn't of come. It was only about Derek anyway." She tells me. My ears prick when I hear Derek's name being said and I look up at Malia questioningly.

"What happened to Derek?" I ask, my voice laced with urgency, which makes Malia chuckle.

"Nothing, he's fine. It was just some Alpha stuff, I don't know. I probably didn't even need to be there- none of us did, really." She assures me.

I pause to think for a moment.

"Do you know why Scott was acting weird at lunch the other day?" I ask her. She goes quiet.

"Malia?" I promt.

"No, I don't know. Ask him." She answer suddenly, as if her response was rehearsed; I get the instinct she's not telling the truth here.

***

"Scott." I call into the massive group of highschoolers, straining my voice. I know he can hear me and he spins around on his heel and emerges from the crowd. He raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah?" He asks casually.

"Uh, can I talk to you a second?" I ask. He nods and then we go to stand in an empty classroom next to the hall.

"What's up?" He asks, shutting the door behind him.

"Uh, the other day? Is everything okay? You were acting kinda- really weird." I stammer, looking at his eyes which grow full with worry? Or concern?

"Yeah... Fine." He says, biting his lip.

"Scott, I might not be a werewolf but I can tell when you're lying your ass off." I say sternly. Scott looks guilty.

"It's nothing." Scott says.

"It sure as hell doesn't seem like nothing. Scott, you didn't even invite me to the pack meeting last night!" I accuse him. His cheeks flush a quick shade of pink and he looks at the ground.

"I'm sorry, I just didn't think about it." He says, looking me in the eyes. I sigh and turn around, leaving him stood alone in the classroom as I slam the door behind me.

Trying to walk quickly (though nearly tripping over my cannula and getting quite out of breath) I see Derek at the end of the hall. What?

He sees me looking worn out and rushes over to take my arm in his large hand, me putting almost all of my pressure on him.

"What're you doing here?" I glance up at him. He truly was gorgeous; black stubble was painted across the canvas of his tanned face- which had the most amazing bone structure, might I add. His hazel eyes (with cute flecks of blue and green) shone as he examines me, though they're laced with worry.

"I was..." He looks around, as if searching for an answer in the air. I smirk.

"You don't need to worry about me, you know." I say, leaning my head into his shoulder.

"I do. I just came to, I don't know, check on you, I guess." He answers, planting a small kiss on my forehead, which makes my body tense up- in a good way. He's never done that before.

I gaze up at him and see he's blushing a significant amount. I smile happily.

"Everything okay? You seemed like you were in a rush back there." Derek asks softly, glancing back down the hall.

"I'm fine... It was just me and Scott... I don't know what it was. He was being weird." I tell Derek, and realise our hands are now intertwined.

"Oh yeah? I noticed that too, last night. I'll ask him, okay?" Derek assures me, kissing the top of my head through my beanie.

"Thank you." I whisper back, nuzzling my head into the warmth of his chest.