Part 22

I go into school alone after my dad drops me off and slowly make my way to my locker. Juggling my cannula and a load of books in my arms, I manage to unlock my locker and collapse the pile of books into the metal safe. Malia sees me and approaches, her face an explosion of smiles.

"Hey." I smile, chucking my arms around her and pulling her into a hug.

"Hey," she greets me, her voice muffled in my coat.

She's dressed in a pair of fishnet tights and short black dress of where the skirt is flowing out over her thighs. Over her dress is a jean jacket and some necklaces. She's wearing this with her dark green Doc Martens and, as per usual, looks pretty badass, her light brown hair cascading down to her shoulders in loose curls.

"You're not too hot in that?" She asks perplexingly, looking at my thick coat. I shake my head, making my beanie wobble.

"Nah, I'm nearly always cold." I shrug.

She considers this, her face of an understanding countenance, as if she's casually just saying "Oh, okay." through her eyes.

"You know, Malia," I begin, looking at her, "you're the only one not stepping on eggshells around me, you know?" I say, raising an eyebrow. She looks slightly confused.

"Why would I be?" She asks casually, looking me up and down, as if checking for damage but not finding any.

"Because I'm sick, and everyone acts as if they need to be nice, and kind, or whatever. I just want everyone to be normal." I complain. She smirks, a cute dimple forming in her tanned cheek.

"I don't see you as being sick. Like, I know you are, but you're not defined by it, or whatever." She mimics me, smiling.

"I just wish Scott would realise that..." I murmur, and I know she hears me. Her eyebrows furrow.

"I think he's just scared. He thinks you're delicate, and-"

"But I'm not!" I flail, defensively. "I mean, I'm weak- yes- but I'm still me, and he's acting as if I need, like, 24/7 monitoring!" I complain, rolling my eyes. Malia laughs pityfully.

"It's only because he cares. He needs to hear this from you, you know." She advises me, resting a hand on my shoulder, her long fingers enveloping my body within their grip. I nod, looking up at her pretty face. Her dark eyebrows stand out on her face.

"Thank you." I breathed.

"Hey, what have you got next?" She asks me.

"Math." I smile, laughing at her immediate huff and eye roll.

"Same." She groans, dragging herself reluctantly as we walk down the hall to our classroom.

"I really don't see the point in math!" She states, moaning, "I mean, when will I ever need to know what x is? I don't care! We have calculators on our phones, what's the point?" She rants, waving her arms round exaggeratedly as we enter the room.

"The point is that it teaches you to know how much to tip in a restaurant." I say, giving her a thumbs up as we sit down in the class room. The teacher then eyes me up sympathetically, frowning at my cannula, which I almost forgot about during my conversation with Malia.

I sit through all the lessons normally, then have lunch with Malia.

"Hey where's Scott?" She asks as I pop a few pills, sitting down next to where I was previously sat by myself taking my meds.

"I've barely seen him today." I sigh, "he saw me as I came out of math, but then disappeared in the crowd when I went to my locker." I say glumly, raising my eyebrows.

Malia slumps her shoulders next to me.

"Huh. That's not like him." She says, but suddenly Scott appears from an oozing crowd of teenagers and approache our table.

"Hey, dude." He says, already making it awkward. I wave at him and signal for him to sit down.

"Er... Yeah, I'd love to, but I gotta..." He stops to think, "uh, I need to study." He stammers out, scratching the back of his neck. I mutter an "ok" at him and he speeds off as my gaze turns back to Malia's almost disgusted face.

"What the fuck?!" She blurts out, watching him as he leaves the cafeteria. I roll my eyes in an "I'm used to it" way.

"No, seriously, what the fuck?!" She reiterates.

"Malia, drop it, it's fine." I say gloomily. She pouts grumpily.

"It's not fine, Stiles! He's your best friend! The hell is he doing? 'Er- sorry- gotta run to the library!'" She imitates Scott, putting on a deep, gorming voice then scowling toward the direction he walked off in.

"I mean, since when does Scott study?" She explodes again.

"Malia!" I chuckle, putting a hand on her arm. "It's fine." My dry voice cracks, smiling a half hearted smile.

OOH WHATS UP WITH SCOTTY

YAY STALIA!!1!!1 ugh my otp TBH like *makes a disturbing fangirl dying whale noise* okay ya VOTE AND COMMENT💘💘