Through the Woods We Go

"So you're telling me there are more shadows now?" Junpei groaned.

Shinjiro nodded, "It's true I'm afraid."

Junpei sighed, pulled his cap down to cover his eyes and replied, "I hope the others will be OK."

Shinjiro's heart raced at that statement. As if he didn't need any more stress, but he had to pile that to his list of worries? Junpei perked up then, "But our team is strong, I'm sure they'll make it through anything."

Shinjiro grinned, "That's better.

"So how do we get to the caterpillar's library?" Shinjiro inquired.

Alice smiled softly, "By heading into the heart of Wonderland's woods."

Shinjiro and Junpei nodded. "Lead the way Allie," Junpei said.

Shinjiro frowned at Junpei's nickname for Alice. Alice said, "Sure but let me tell the Hatter what we're going to be up to."

As soon as Alice was gone, Shinjiro glared at Junpei. "What's wrong man?" Junpei asked confused.

"You know what. You gave Alice a cute nickname! I should be the one doing that," he said angrily.

Junpei snorted, "Look it was just a slip of the tongue. It meant nothing."

"Sure it didn't," he remarked.

Junpei frowned, "I'm not trying to steal her from you. I have Chikorita, you know that."

That made Shinjiro feel a little better. "OK, you win. Sorry for acting jealous," he grudgingly admitted.

Junpei shrugged, "It's not a problem. Just try not to get too worked up. I mean it's obvious she likes you."

Shinjiro smiled softly. The door opened then and Alice smiled, "Come on guys let's go! The Hatter said it's fine, he thinks you can handle whatever the shadows through at us Shinjiro."

Junpei frowned and Alice coughed, correcting herself. "And you too Junpei," she added laughing nervously.

Junpei nodded and the three of them headed off for the heart of Wonderland's woods.

The woods appeared in their view, as soon as they stepped out of the Hatter's house. Strange and exotic birdcalls could be heard in the distance as they made their way deeper in. Whispers could be heard as they walked by. "What's that?" Shinjiro asked.

"The flowers, they're most likely trying to decide what you guys are doing here," Alice answered.

Shinjiro nodded and walked on ahead. The three continued walking, until they came across two young boys playing with magic wands and creating all sorts of creatures into existence. A huge spider formed and began crawling towards them. Shinjiro heard Alice shriek and felt her pull herself into him. Shinjiro blushed at the close proximity. "Tweedledee dum! You boys knock it off!" Alice said a second later, pulling away from him. "Sorry Alice! We know you're afraid of spiders, but we were just practicing our magic!"

"Well, practice summoning something cuter, will you? Like a unicorn or a pink kitty!"

The twins burst out in laughter, "Riiight. Like we'll actually summon something that lame!"

"UGH! You two infuriate me!" Alice snarled.

The boy on the left laughed, while the one on the right frowned when he saw Shinjiro. "So who's your boyfriend, Alice?" he asked snickering.

Alice's face reddened to the color of a tomato. "He's not—"

"His name's Shinjiro," Junpei supplied.

The boy nodded and Alice shot him a dark look. Junpei shrugged and then winked at Shinjiro. Shinjiro smiled back.

"My name is Junpei in case you two were wondering," he added.

The twins nodded. "So Alice what are you guys doing here in the caterpillar's woods?"

Alice explained and the twins' eyes widened. "Wow...we didn't know that Wonderland was falling into such ruin," the twin on the left said.

"By the way, can you two introduce yourselves? You are twins and it's a bit weird to not know who is who," Junpei said.

"OK, I'm Tweedledee," the one on the left said.

"And I'm Tweedledum," the one on the right said.

Junpei nodded, "Thanks that makes things a little easier."

"Well I hope you guys can save Wonderland. You might just be our saviors," the twins said.

As their words sunk in, Shinjiro realized that they could be Wonderland's only hope.