Melon Music Recommendations

Hello, folks!

Running a monthly music column can be hard- everyone has different tastes in music. I consider myself to be pretty well rounded, with a love for weird indie in addition to trashy pop, and all the little nodes in between. But nobody's perfect- I've yet to listen to 'the next big thing' Halsey, for one. And I don't do much for rap either!

With my shortcomings in mind, and the diversity of all you little deeries, I've put together a variety of songs for a variety of people!

October's a spooky month full of mystery, witchcraft, kitties, and candy. But you know what else is spooky? Sadness. Loneliness. Misery. This month's tracks are a little bit sad, with a little bit of longing. Even the happier ones tend to pine for other times.

Non vocal tracks are marked *.

*For that empty feeling-
"Unlabled" by Erik Scheele
Ever need to feel somewhat sad, and need the perfect piano song to take you there?

Something sweet to clean the palette-
"The Gambler" by Fun.
Fun. is one of my favorite bands, I'll admit, so we may end up seeing a couple of their songs over the months. 'The Gambler' is a simple, lovely little song that is honestly the most played song on my ipod. Piano and violin! That's a combo for me, man.
Then you turned, put out your hand, and you asked me to dance/
I knew nothing of romance but it was love at second sight

*For old dreams and old games-
"Candles and clockwork (Alpha version)" by Homestuck
There's something undeniably sad about this song, not really mournful, but miserable. Like looking out from on top a mountain, feeling the wind, and nothing more.
Worth a listen: "Candles and clockwork" the non alpha version. It uses a different sound palette but is the same song, using electronic instruments very reminiscent of old 90s video games. Something about it brings me right back to... somewhere else.

It's time to feel classy-
"Million dollar man" by Lana Del Ray
Lana is a mixed bag of hatred/enjoyance for me, but this song is works wonderfully, a catchy ballad with instrumentals and a melody reminiscent of some older era.

You're screwed up and brilliant, look like a million dollar man/
so why is my heart broke?
Bonus points for that pun, Lana.

*For days of cloud cover-
"Whistling heights" by Ocobar featuring Geert Chatrou
Oh! How obscure can a song get? This lovely bit of whistling is perfect for leaning your head against the window and staring off blankly.

$When you're sad and on a bus-
"Free bird" by Andrew Jackson Jihad
Let his off-pitched sorrow bring you places. Mostly miserable ones. This song brings out a lot of emotions of aimlessness and self-loathing that I didn't even know I was capable of. 10/10. Would listen to again.
If there's a God in the sky/
Or a devil below/
That doesn't matter to me/
Cause I see Satan's face when I look in the mirror
I see God inside all of the people I meet

For love-

"Honeybee" by Steam powered giraffe
A sweet, sweet, sweet song, already considered a classic by the old people I've made listen to it. Who knew singing robots could be so excellent*? (seriously, look at the video! SPG's thing is that they pretend to be steampunk robots. They're very good at it). Even if you don't care for the singing robots aspect of this band, this song is always worth a check. It's amazing.
Hello, goodbye, I'm rather crazy/
And I never thought I was crazy/
But what do I know?

A weird, not too romantic love song-
"Downward curve" by Matt Temple and the Funky Five
I can get very obscure, my friends. The simple guitar, the mournful lyrics and that weird narrator style voice overlay makes for a pretty interesting song from a way too strange band.
Just like the ice cream a little child licks/
I want to love you until I get sick/
But you're already sick of me

*For driving down the highway at night while it's raining or softly snowing-
"Oxygene 7" by Jean-Michel Jarre
I fully expect to have a Jarre song on every edition of this column. His electronica is something else, not the sort of hardcore dance stuff you expect when you think of the electric genre. It's very peaceful, moving, and chill. Sort of a repetitive journey that takes you places. The whole oxygen suite is worth a listen, but this first track really stands out to me.

For your sad slow jamming trashy pop needs-
"The Harold song" by Kesha
This is the kind of song you dance to in the club slowly, hands in the air, crying slowly and ruining your makeup. It's a good song to get down to (down on the ground) (sadly).
Also worth a listen: The acoustic version of this removes some of the trash pop, but really enhances Kesha's vocals. She's a good singer, folks!
They say that true love hurts- well this could almost kill me/
Young love murdered, that is what they must be/
I would give it all not to be sleeping alone

I probably should have done more spooky, honestly.
Luckily, to cover all your halloween needs, I have just one perfect song:
"Spooky scary skeletons"
I don't even know who it's by just google it and enjoy.

One last palette cleaner:
Poppy, catchy, cheery, jumpy-
"Oh girl, you're the devil!" by MIKA
Mika is a real favorite of mine- his songs are very pop and fun. This one is quite possibly the catchiest one yet, with a bouncy beat and fun to sing along with lyrics. Unfortunately, Mika and I share the same name pronunciation, so one day we must fight to the death for name superiority. It'll be a sad day.
Follow me/
Whoever you want to be