Sweets and Sours of the Month

The Sweets and Sours of the Month
@SabrinaElouardi

September is a month of the leaves and of nature. It's a time of harvest; when the breezes of summer say goodbye and the new apples of the season say "hello!" September is a breath of fresh air because it's that middle season between the scorching heat of summer and the chill of the autumn. And another great thing about September? It's the start of the year, which means: television season! Pop-culture news and music! So, we're going to take a little walk along memory lane and reflect on the sweets and sours of September. (Because, let's be real...there were some cringe worthy and badass moments of September).

SEPTEMBER SWEET #1: THE BASTARD EXECUTIONER BINGEING,
WEEK: SEPTEMBER 14th, 2015

Do you have a sweet tooth for gory writing? Long, drawn out fight scenes? Medieval drama?
Well, if so, the week of September 14th was a huge week for you. After finishing a whopping seven year run on the brutal and bloody FX Sons of Anarchy, show creator Kurt Sutter came back to the big screen with a bold, provocative, and fresh medieval drama.

Following the story of Wilkin Brattle, a knight that used to be in the stead of Edward the First's king's guard -- the 14th century tells a sordid and macabre story about a man who's family has been ripped from him, while other conspiring forces plot his demise. The two pilots were definitely worth the binge, and if you're a sucker for historical drama like me -- watch, watch, watch! Sutter is a modern day Shakespeare, and he has no problem sucking you in.

SEPTEMBER SOUR #1: THE REPUBLICAN GOP DEBATE AND WHY AMERICAN POLITICS IS GOING TO HELL,
WEEK: September 14th, 2015

Unless you're a Republican, the second GOP debate was a brutal and lagging three-and-a-half hours of sheer political stupidity. Throughout the entire thing, Donald Trump (neé Satan), spent the entire hour dancing on his toes and starting a pissing match with every Republican candidate on the stand.

Jeb Bush forced him to apologize to his wife for insulting her Mexicana status, Carly Fiorina gorily described how aborted fetuses contribute to science -- Huckabee ranted on how the homosexuals are ruining the country when his marriages clearly are, Chris Christie had a New Jersey fetish going on, Ben Carson described the physics of fence making -- Kasich mentioned something about Hilary, and Rand Paul looked like a pin-head.

Although there was some method to the madness, The Republican GOP Debate was basically listening to Republicans talking about how rich they were and how George HW Bush apparently kept us all safe during 9/11.

SEPTEMBER SOUR #1 BONUS: Bernie Sanders' subtweet, which is probably a the penultimate September Sweet. "Yup. Bush was a great president. Yes. No doubt. Great president. All Obama's fault...that was sarcasm, by the way. #DebateWithBernie."

SEPTEMBER SWEET #2: THE AFFAIR'S PROMO SONG "Run Baby Run" BY THE RIGS
WEEK: August 31st, 2015 -- September 1st, 2015

Ever hear of The Rigs? Probably not. Christened from Showtime's "The Affair", and born into a world of premature success in music -- The Rigs are slowly beginning to gain momentum from the show's second season trailer. Run Baby Run is a soft and sweet ballad that talks about the haunting feelings that come with loving someone who betrayed you. But even though the song is haunting and sad, the tone is light, happy, energetic. It upps the ante as quickly as it goes down, and is such a catchy and sweet tune. I recommend it to everyone. Everyone.

SEPTEMBER SOUR #2: NICK JONAS' "Levels" AND HOW I WAS SO CONFUSED
Week: August 31st, 2015 -- September 1st, 2015

Nick Jonas is a sensation. Let's be real. Whether you like him or not, you've most certainly heard of him -- whether it was from the Jonas Brothers, or the sitcoms he did on Disney. I could dig Chains, and could get into Jealous...but Levels. No, no -- no, no, no. For those of you who don't really know what the song about: he compares love, and having the...sexual relations to an elevator's levels.

Throughout the entire song, to quote YouTube, he sounded like "a fat hamster" trying to sell off a song. And then, on top of the sexual innuendos, he mentions high-fiving Jesus and "supernatural." Out of nowhere. (Who else was expecting Sam and Dean to pop out?) Is it a bad song? No, not necessarily...but overall, comparing -- to quote Tumblr -- frickle frackling to an elevator is just nasty, y'all. And I write erotica.

But anyways there you have it! The sweets and sours of September! What are your sweets and sours? Are you excited for September? Are you not? Sound off in the comments below, and have a great September, all! Because next month is October, and October is candy month. (Let's swoon together, shall we?)