Chapter 3 - Natsu and Lucy

Faking and Loving

Chapter 3

Lucy woke up that morning to see Erza's bed empty.

She glanced at the clock on the wall and was surprised to see that it was only 5:00AM.

Since when could I wake up so early? Lucy thought to herself.

She figured maybe because she was able to sleep soundly last night, with Erza finally turning the lights off in the room. Where was Erza anyway?

She exited the room in just her pajamas and walked down the hallway. Fairy Hills dormitory was still quiet, and the light in the hallways were dim. She walked past a number of rooms and climbed down a flight of stairs, making way to the one place she thought Erza might be.

The study room.

It was the only room allowed to be in at night other than the student's rooms. Only the study room would allow the lights to be on the whole night; there were a number of promising students after all.

But no one as hardworking and studious as Erza Scarlet.

Lucy opened the door slightly and peeked in. Sure enough, her scarlet-haired friend was right there, and not surprisingly, she was alone. Of course, the students didn't actually wake up until 6:00AM. But what was surprising was that she didn't appear to be studying.

Is she...coloring?

"Erza...?"

Her studious friend turned around to find Lucy peeking from the door. "Lucy...? What are doing here so early?"

She opened the door fully and walked inside. "I could ask the same thing because it doesn't look like you're studying."

Lucy pulled up a seat next to Erza, finally noticing what she was actually doing. "Are these...fan signs?"

Erza sighed. She might as well tell Lucy what she had been up to since she woke up early that morning. "I wanted to do a little something to cheer for Fairy Tail for today's game."

Lucy smiled. Is this why she went to sleep early? So she could wake up early and do this while no one was looking?

She watched as Erza colored the bubble writing of the letter "L" at the end of word "Fairy Tail." She even sprinkled red and blue glitter on the writings. It was quite simple, yet eye-catching enough. "You're not very creative are you, Erza?" The blond teased.

"What did you say?" Erza darkened.

The blond laughed nervously. "I-I mean...it's good!" Please don't get mad, please don't get mad! Lucy repeated in her head several times.

Erza sighed, almost depressed. Lucy was surprised to see that transition. "It really is horrible, isn't it?"

"N-No, I didn't say that!"

"Forget it."

Lucy couldn't help but feel guilty again. Maybe she said something she shouldn't have? Erza woke up so early to do something other than studying and she had teased her for it. Granted it was just a joke but...

Wait...

Now that Lucy thought about it, this was the first time she was motivated in something else other than studying. Did she always like basketball? No, that couldn't be it. Lucy had tried to encourage her before to come but she always refused. Then suddenly Erza said she'd come yesterday. What made her change her mind again?