Chapter 16- A Warm Welcome

COPYRIGHT 2013

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Part 2

CHAPTER 16- A WARM WELCOME

I slowly woke up to the slow lull of waves greeting a shore. My throat was like sandpaper, catching my breath. I opened my eyes,  dazedly shaking my head, as I heaved myself up. I swallowed up my surroundings, as I searched for Riki. 

A hair line of trees breaking into a beaten track, fringed with warm golden sand. The sky was blue, but in the sight were dark, inky black clouds, that seemed to be like a frown. So this was Coria. I didn't feel anything. I just felt numb.

'Riki! Where are you?' I cocked my head, but our mental ink was closed off. No reply. Just like with Tiki now. I felt salty tears well up in my eyes. Where were they? No, I mean, where was Riki?

"Tiki's dead." I said aloud bitterly.

My whole body protested in agony as I staggered down toward the track, my only hope was that I would find civilisation soon. Before I started to follow the path, I headed for the shade, my back was sun burnt, from the tatters of rags that were now my clothes.

My steps were weak and feeble, however, they soon got stronger. Once in the trees, I searched about for some root or something that would sate my growling stomach for a while. I furrowed around in the undergrowth, until I had pulled up a root the size of my fist. I smiled weakly, and as I was just aout to take a bite, I heard a voice say to me, "I wouldn't eat that if I were you. Personally, I don't want to die." I jumped, and the root fell right out of my hands, I spun around my fists raised to strike. I didn't see what I expected. I expected a human child.

Instead I saw a bear.

Well, a bear is n t an accurate description. A bear was just the first thing that jumped into my thoughts. The creature was small, the size of the average human six-year-old and covered in chocolate coloured fur, apart from the hands and feet, small eyes, sparkling with curiosity, and a tiny pink nose.

"Erm, thank you. What are you?" I replied in Corian.

"I'm a brownie, silly!" The child squealed with delight, as if this was a marvelous game. She clapped her hands, dropping the mushroom she had been munching on.

"Come, let me show you my family." I allowed myself to be dragged through the wood by the brownie.

"What is your name?"

"I am called Avril, what is your name?"

"Cass-" I glared as I remembered Corian tradition, "I mean... Prilla." I told Avril through gritted teeth.

"Well, Prilla-" 

"Please call me Cassy." The child looked shocked as she turned to me, and then a humongous smile spread across her face.

"And you can call me Clova!" She yelled, swinging from my hands.

"Oh great. I forgot only close friends are meant to call me Cassy." I thought, angry that I had forgotten. Looked like I had unwittingly made a friend in Coria. But Clova's happy mood was infectious, and I was soon laughing with her.

-------

I was in a camp with a series of brownies, having a feast in a clearing. I know how that sounds. 

Crazy.

I had expected to be left out from the talk and laughter. But just I was served the same amount as everyone else, the brownies mad me feel like one of them, like dining with complete strangers was a completely normal thing to do. They even gave me the same tunic and leggings to wear. I half expected to see hair sprouting on my arms.

There was never a dull moment in that camp. Raucous laughter filled the air, and jokes, stories and tales were spread to each other, as if these people thrived on making people happy.

******

Hey :) first chapter of part 2 :) I hope you liked it, thank you guys for reading!  Please don't be a silent reader! Tell me what you think!! Please vote, next chapter after 5 reads, start small and all that :)