Chapter XXIII

Draco and Harry were free falling through the sky. The broom, split down the center of the wood from rot and weight, was in pieces tumbling below them. Even though it was only a few seconds, it felt as if they were falling for eternity. Harry distantly heard his name being screamed as they neared the river below them, filled with muggle ferries and bridges. Music from drunken festivals blared out as Harry searched frantically for Draco, the lights flashing rapidly in his eyes. Before he found Draco, shock overwhelmed him as he hit something and then sunk down into the river, the water rushing into his throat and into his lungs.

Harry didn't know how long he was down there, nor that he was sinking down to the bottom of a river. All he knew is that it was pleasant. There was a distant drone, but other than that- silence. it was soothing, that silence, and Harry suddenly felt very tired. Soon his ears began to ring, and sang softly to him as he touched the bottom of the river, sand forming in a cloud below him. It's quite peaceful down here, Harry thought, and he drifted away into a deep sleep.

***

Draco only had a split second to prepare himself to fall into the water. He plunged into the frigid waters, wands and backpack secured in his grasp. Gasping for air as he surfaced, he looked around for Harry in a state of panic. He had seen Harry fall rather limply, and he needed to know that he was alright. "Harry!" He screamed, his voice hoarse and ragged. They had made it hours away from the manor on that old broom, and luckily Harry had traveled over a river most of the way. However, even though the river almost guaranteed a safe landing, Harry was nowhere to be found.

A string of curses ran through Draco's head as he put on his backpack and held out his wand, the wood heavy and slippery in the water. "Lumos!" He exclaimed as he plunged into the dark river, and the light shined through the water like mist, illuminating all sorts of creatures, both magical and nonmagical, plants, and muggle trash. Although Draco was quite curious on what most of it was, he had no time to muck around and needed to find Harry. His lungs ached for air, so he surfaced quickly, and then dove in again. His eyes burned from being open underwater, but at the moment, he hardly cared.

At that moment, he saw something shimmer. Way down below near the bottom of the river, a round, shiny object reflected off of his wand. Draco took a deep breath, diving down as far as he could go. His lungs screamed for air, the lack of oxygen causing black and red dots to swarm his eyes, but finally, when he made it to the bottom, he found the object.

Harry's glasses.

He scooped them up gently, and kicked up in the muck to rise to the surface, and with a dreaded feeling of despair, he began to take off his backpack so that he could swim better. As he was about to drop it, a screeching siren filled the air as he noticed a huge muggle vehicle heading near the shore. He remembered seeing them once on his way to Diagon Alley. They stopped and a swarm of muggles rushed out, and pushed a bed alongside of them, sort of like the ones in the infirmary at Hogwarts.

With a moment of realization, he swam toward the shore with a rush of hope that someone had found his Harry. After dragging himself out of the water, he scurried to his feet to find the vehicle rushing away in a whir of noise and lights.

He fell to his knees in the sand, for the muggle box had sped too far away, impossible for him to follow. He held Harry's glasses gently, wiping the lenses with his sleeve.

"Can I help you?" A voice asked, and Draco turned around to find a girl near his age, sopping wet and wrapped up in a towel.

"Erm, hopefully so. Do you have any idea where that mug- vehicle with the siren just went off to? I think my... friend was in it." Draco muttered, his hopes high.

"You mean the ambulance?" She asked, and Draco bobbed his head. "Actually, yes, it's probably headed off to the Chepstow Hospital. If you want, I can drive you there." She offered. (Lol i've done my fair share of research on the UK. I'm also writing a novel that takes place in London... dear lawd i need to visit england)

Under normal circumstances, Draco would have most certainly refused, for he would never associate with muggles. Being from a proud pureblood wizarding family, he made sure to. However, he was desperate, so he nodded in despair. The girl swiped up a bunch of jangling keys from her pocket and held it in her palm, pressing a certain section, making the muggle vehicle beep. Draco jumped in alarm, and then looked around him in embarrassment. She didn't seem to notice though, and Draco nervously stepped up into the massive vehicle.

"By the way," She said, one hand on a wheel, clicking a strap across her. Draco noticed the clip and did the same thing. Her voice had a hint of humor. "I'm Lilith Brookesdale. And you are?"

Draco thought for a moment before he said anything. Then after a long pause, he answered. "My name is Draco. Draco... Potter,"

He gave a little smile when he lied.