Chapter XXXV

Harry lurched forward with a sudden jolt, getting thrown across a street, catching himself with his arms. His palms skidded across the rock, tearing into the skin of his hand. He looked up to see the same street of Diagon Alley, and then saw Draco lying on the ground, who was groaning quietly, nearly unconscious, sprawled across the cobblestones. Dobby let out a yelp as he tumbled into the side of a building farther down the street, sprawling to get up. The dark mark hung low in the sky like a dense, dark, ominous fog. Dobby's apparation was interrupted by a Death Eater, and they were sitting ducks in the streets of Diagon Alley, waiting until the Death Eaters found them.

"Draco!" Harry cried out as he picked himself off the ground and rushed to him, falling to his feet as he reached the injured blue-haired boy. He cupped his face and kissed his cheek gently. "Draco," he whispered, "stay awake."

Draco closed his eyes weakly, hair matted with blood, arm draped over his crimson body. Harry brushed his hair back out of his face. "Dray," he whispered, planting a a soft kiss on his lips. "Please stay awake."

Draco opened his eyes slowly, looking up brilliantly at Harry. He said something he had not said in a very long time. "I love you, Harry," His mouth twisted up into a tiny smile, eyes closing as he continued. "I know I... I haven't said it very much lately, I suppose because we've been focused on getting home, but I want to tell you now that I really really do."

"Dray," Harry trailed off, his eyes warm. "I love you too. So much,"

Draco stared up at his emerald eyes, smiling quickly, trying to reach up to caress Harry's face. He quickly snapped his eyes shut from the pain of trying to raise his scarlet stained arm. Harry scooped him up carefully as Draco winced, carrying him across the chaotic street of Diagon Alley over to Dobby, who was slowly getting up from being thrown out of the apparation, while brushing dirt off of his mismatched clothes. "You okay Dobby?" Harry asked, tiring slightly as he carried Draco. Dobby nodded, and then his eyes focused on something behind Harry. He turned as he heard the heavy footsteps of a man, and quickly set Draco on the ground, who was rather faint and appeared past the point of being fatigued. Harry turned around with his wand at the ready to find dozens of masked Death Eaters appearing, surrounding them.

"Itty bitty baby Potter thinks he can escape us!" a giggly voice exclaimed with a hint of hysteria, the madness of her voice revealing the identity of Bellatrix Lestrange. "If you come with us, we won't hurt you. I can't guarantee the other's safety though," she laughed maniacally, referring to Dobby and Draco behind Harry.

"You can't hurt them," Harry pointed his wand more threateningly, but his bravery turned to stupidity as they looked at how hopelessly outnumbered they were. His arm began to burn in pain, but he ignored it, continuing to pose threateningly against the dark witch.

"Watch me!" Bellatrix cackled coldly as she raised her wand at Draco. "Avada-!"

Harry jumped in front of Draco, casting expellliarmus- his arm screamed from the pain, but he successfully deflected her spell and knocked her wand out of her hand in her disbelief. Harry had fire in his eyes, and anyone who messed with Draco would have hell to pay. Bellatrix stood incredulous as the other Death Eaters began throwing spells at Harry. Sweat dripped from Harry's forehead, hair sticking like it was a humid day in July as he kept fending them off, but he was progressing nowhere with just using defensive spells, and began to work his way back to Draco and Dobby to escape again.

"Baby Potter trying to run away?" Bellatrix cackled delightedly as she took a lower ranked Death Eater's wand and stood on the roof of a parked truck like the leader of the pack, beginning to throw randomized spells left and right. Harry turned back to look at her, the pain in his arm now unbearable as he rolled up his sleeve distractedly, and stared at the sudden appearing bloody letters carved into his arm, beginning to drip blood.

I must not tell lies.

"Yeah... I am," he said uncontrollably with a sense of force within him, while his brain was screaming at him in confusion.

And then a swarm of thoughts cluttered his mind.

Bellatrix threw him a perplexed look from his behaviour and paused, watching Harry stare blankly down at his arm, his mind consumed with constant thoughts, fists clenching, knuckles turning white.

Harry looked up at her, his jaw setting, and eyes turning a glowing green.

"I must not tell lies," he rasped as they glowed menacingly, the words throwing themselves out of his mouth.

Bellatrix grinned hysterically as she sat down on the edge of the truck's roof, swinging her feet. "That stupid bitch did it!" She cackled, her voice catching. "Oh, this is a sight to see," she heaved through laughs.

Harry stood helpless, wand slowly dropping to the ground out of his limp hand as his mind exploded with hundreds of lies. Bellatrix threw him an exasperated look. "By your luck, I thought it would have been harder."

She slid off the roof of the truck, landing lightly on the ground. Only one Death Eater remained in Diagon Alley, masked and anonymous; the rest had disappeared like black fireworks into the sky. Under Bellatrix's order, they began to raise their wand.

Draco struggled with his own wand, trying to lift it from his pocket to try and help Harry, who stood defenceless, unmoving. Blood dripped down the pavement from his wounds, and he was surrounded in a cold sweat as his lethargic eyes attempted to shout out to Harry.

"Crucio!" The Death Eater on the end sneered, and Draco hit the spell just in time.

"Stupefy!" He cried, and the masked Death Eater flew backwards, crashing sickeningly into a wall. They collapsed unmoving on the ground, and Draco's eyes swarmed black, losing consciousness as he felt his head collide with the ground.