Chapter 4

It was finally Saturday night, the big night at the art gallery. Leona was both excited and nervous. She couldn't understand why she was always a bit nervous on nights like this end though she was used to it by now. Probably its the fact that she often worried about how other people may critique her work.

She knew she was a talented artist but the are just some person who could never appreciate anything including good art. The are persons who'd thought the work wasn't all that or sloppy or ugly an when they themselves can't do it better or do crap for that matter, in short there's always gonna be haters.

She still couldn't decide which dress to wear even though shed had months to prepare for this event. She wanted to look good and possible sexy but yet simple. She decided to get an opinion from the one person whose opinion really mattered to her, Layla.

"Layla sweetie!" She called out trying to get her daughter whose room was across from hers attention.

"Yeah mom!" Layla answered from across her room.

"Could you come in here for a second please!" She replied.

In less than ten seconds later Layla was in her mom's room.
"Mom I thought you were getting ready".

"I was dear but I'm stuck. Which of these dress do you think I should wear tonight?" She asked holding up the two dresses on display.

First there was a plain long gold dress with a halter neck and then there was a short straight black strapless dress that had a goldish sequin design in the front.

"Uhm... The black one, you'd look hot in that mom" Layla smiled proud at her choice.

"OK black dress it is then" she said as she walked into her closet putting back the gold dress and putting on the black dress.

Seconds later she can out of her closet wearing the dress. It fitted her perfectly like a second skin and hugged her hips well. One little problem she found with the dress though. Maybe it showed to much legs it was a bit short at about mid thigh. It went just over her bust and showed off her perfectly rounded bust area.

"Wow told you you'd look hot" Layla smiled.

"Yeah, maybe a bit too hot I'm not wearing this by itself. I'm gonna go put on some Lacey net stockings" Leona said as she went to her drawer to find the stocking.

"That could work you'll still look hot" Layla said.

Leona found the Lacey stocking with some flower designs and put in on then she slipped on her black pumps with the gold lining around the edges. She finished her outfit with a smooth thick gold necklace a ring and her gold wrist watch that looked like a bracelet. She didn't do much to her hair but curl it slightly and let it down with a slant centre part and then her makeup was minimal as well just some mascara, a bit of eyeliner and lip gloss. She looked beautiful and sexy nonetheless.

Layla on the other hand was looking beautiful as well. For an eleven year old she looked grown up and was dressed in a sky blue strapless dress that was tight around the midriff then flared at the waist down and stopped mid thigh along with silver heels.

After she collected her purse and they were both ready Xavier a friend and coworker of Ashley came to pick them up. Ashley had told Xavier about her sister and he agreed to be her date. Since Leona knew him she decided to go along with it.
They were soon off to the art gallery.

*********************
There were a lot if people at the art gallery. Many of them seemed to really enjoy the artworks that were on display, a lot of persons were also gathered around her artwork section. In all there were five artists works which were being showcased specifically tonight and Leona was proud to be one. She couldn't resist joining the group of people who were admiring one of her paintings just to hear their comments.

"This is amazing. She really talented. Look at his those colors blend together perfectly" were some of the comments she managed to her before she spotted her family and went to greet them.

"Mom, Dad" Leona smiled as she went to hugged Seth and Marilyn.

"You made it".

"Of course sweetheart we did promised we'd be here" Marilyn smiled as she embraced Leona.

"Where else would we be on one of the biggest nights of you life" Seth asked as he too now embraced her.

"Hey Ash... And Ian thanks for coming I thought you'd bail on me tonight, again" Leona said to Ashley's husband.

"Come on Leona that was one time. I'm here tonight though so can you forgive me please" Ian replied referring to the last time when he didn't show up for her art showcase.

"I guess this once" Leona replied as she hugged Ian who had open his arms to her.

"Oh there you are. My beautiful little girl" Ashley said as she hugged Layla who had just joined them. She had stopped to talk to Cia who was also there along with her mom Jasmine who had came to support Leona.

"Hey everybody" Layla smiled as she hugged her aunt then went to hugged her grandparents and Ian.

"Wow sweetie you look beautiful" Marilyn said as she hugged her.

"You're catching up to your grandpa" Seth said.

"Heels pops" Layla giggled hugging him.

"Its been a while kiddo. Chase missed you" Ian said as he hugged her and referring to his and Ashley's 2year old son.

They spend time catching up, greeting Xavier, viewing the artworks and telling Leona how proud they were of her. They all agreed that their favourite piece of panting however was the one of Layla they all thought it was beautiful. Other persons who saw that painting also recognized it was Layla and telling her she was beautiful as the painting and how she and her mom looked alike. They also hugged Layla telling her just how talented she was once they'd realized she was the artist.

After a couple hours everyone were to be seated as they'd be making some of the awards.
The owner of the art gallery made a speech alongside congratulating the artists. Other persons talked former artists who'd previously been awarded, staff and members of board etc. Then they started giving awards. Awards were given to all the artists for their great works but the award for the most successful and artist of the year went to none other than Leona.

Leona was surprised, ecstatic, overwhelmed among others. She didn't think that she'd been the one to be honored with such prestigious award.

She went up to collect her award and it was required for her to make a brief speech.

"Good evening everyone" Leona said as she got in front the mike.

"First of all I'd like to say thank you for this award, I'm truly great full. Uh... I don't even know what to say. I uhm... I really didn't thought that I'd be the one receiving this award tonight. In fact this is an honour to be here tonight among all the great artists here. I'd also like to thank my family for supporting me and believing in me. They were the ones who made this possible tonight and also my friends who encouraged me thank you I love you guys.

And last but definitely not least, my daughter, she's my everything, my strength, my weaken, my motivation and my world. I mean she's the one who kept me going all this time for the past eleven years and although things weren't all that easy at first me being a young and single man, I managed to stick it through with the help of family and friends and my daughter is one of the biggest reason why I was able to get this award tonight and I dedicated my collection here tonight to her by doing a portrait of her to show everyone she's my world, I love you Layla. Thanks again for the award guys". Leona finished and everyone started clapping.

But as she was exiting the stage her eyes made four with a particular person in the crowd. Someone she thought she'd never saw again I her life.

Andre.