Chapter 4- Love Is A Ruthless Game

Taylor was awoken the next morning by bright light streaming through the curtains. Groaning, she wriggled under the covers to shield her face, but in her wriggling her foot had kicked something. She froze. What the heck was that? Then she remembered Karlie had stayed with her last night. "Shit" she mumbled, rolling over to face her friend. Somehow she hadn't woken her up. Taylor couldn't help but smile at Karlie's sleeping face. It felt so nice to not have woken up alone for once. Suddenly Taylor's stomach gave a low growl. "Guess I'd better order breakfast," she thought, reaching across for the phone on the bedside table.

20 minutes later, Karlie woke up to the smell of cooked breakfast. Yawning and rubbing the sleep dust from her eyes, she looked over to see Taylor perched on the end of the bed with her back to Karlie, deeply engrossed with whatever she was watching on the television.

"You better have saved me something Swift" Karlie called across to her groggily. Her voice made Taylor jump.

"Karlie! Good morning!" She whirled round to face her. "I didn't wake you up did I?"

"You didn't, don't worry."

"I saved you some toast," Taylor passed a plate over to the model.

"Why thank you," Karlie took it and started munching on a slice hungrily.

"Did you sleep ok?" Taylor asked, crawling over to the head of the bed and sitting beside Karlie. Karlie nodded, and swallowed her mouthful of toast.

"Really well. Luckily for me, you don't fidget in your sleep."

"And you got plenty of duvet?" Taylor nudged Karlie, grinning.

"Surprisingly, yes," Karlie smiled, nudging her back.

"Thank you for staying with me, I really appreciate it." Taylor put a hand on Karlie's arm.

"You don't have to thank me, silly. It's nice that we can spend as much time with each other as possible." Karlie gave Taylor's hand a squeeze. It certainly sounded like Karlie had appreciated the company as much as her, Taylor thought, as she looked back into the model's eyes.

After breakfast, Karlie returned to her room, and the girls got showered, dressed and packed, all ready for the next day of their adventure. They met back at the reception, and the body guards carried their luggage back to the car for them. Taylor shook Mr Evans' hand and thank him sincerely for the hotel's hospitality, leaving him red faced and flustered once again.

"Bless him!" Karlie laughed, as they got back in the car. "I think you should've given him your number! He clearly had a crush on you." Taylor just shook her head. Even though she knew Karlie was completely joking, for some reason she felt uncomfortable with her suggestion. She shook the thought out of her head, and concentrated on the journey ahead.

"So, Big Sur is about 5 hours away, do you still wanna go check out the forest park and the beach when we get there?"

"Definitely!" Karlie was studying the route on Google Maps. "Looks like the forest park is an hour from the next lodge, so it's worth going there first."

"Cool", Taylor started the engine. "Let's go."

The first part of the journey was spent in silence, and Taylor began to worry. Had she said something to upset Karlie? She was so used to the model being extra chatty; she found it strange that she was being so quiet. She could see her totally engrossed with whatever she was looking at on her phone.

"Hey, you ok?" Taylor almost felt nervous to break the long silence.

"Hmm?" Karlie looked up. "Oh I'm fine, I just got a couple of texts from someone I'd really rather not hear from right now."