Chapter 9- You Belong With Me

The whistling of the wind was the only sound that filled the air out on the balcony as Karlie stared at Taylor. As the singer stood there waiting for a response from the stunned looking model, she felt the increasing need to turn around and run out of the door. This clearly wasn't what Karlie wanted.

"I... I'm so sorry Karlie, forget I said anything," she stuttered, trying hard to keep herself from letting out any tears as she turned towards the balcony door. Her heart felt as if it was going to shatter into pieces. She'd been anxiously waiting all this time for yet another heartbreak.

"Taylor, wait!" Taylor turned round and jumped slightly. Karlie was now stood right in front of her, eyes widened in panic. "I just... I mean, I had absolutely no idea you were going to say that to me. I... I never ever thought it was a possibility that you'd like me in that way, I mean look at you!" Karlie let out a laugh in disbelief.

"Karlie, I'm so confused; what are you trying to say?" Taylor frowned, trying to make sense of what she'd meant by that whole speech.

"I'm trying to say, very poorly, that I like you too." Now it was Taylor's turn to stare in stunned silence.

"This... this isn't a joke is it?"

"I should be asking you that! No Taylor, I'm not joking," Karlie said gently, smiling widely, her eyes sparkling with joy. Taylor didn't know whether to laugh or cry with relief. She decided to go with the former, and threw her arms around Karlie, the two of them giggling loudly, releasing all their anxiety and fear out into the open air.

"I can't believe this is real." Taylor nuzzled her head into Karlie's chest. This was the happiest she'd felt in forever. "So I was right then," Karlie chuckled, squeezing Taylor tightly against her.

"Right about what?" Taylor asked.

"About what I said at the café on the last day of the road trip. You really can't resist me."

"Karlie!" Taylor hit her lightly on the back. "You're so not funny!"

"Oh come on, you know it's true, I'm irresistible."

Taylor sighed. "Fine, maybe you are a little, I'll give you that."

"Thanks very much!" Taylor felt Karlie grin into her shoulder. "It's getting a bit cold out here; do you want to go back inside?" She asked, tilting her head back to look at Taylor's face. "Mmm, yeah, that'd be good," Taylor nodded, unable to keep the smile off her face. Putting an arm around her shoulder, still keeping them close, Karlie guided her towards the doorway.

With Karlie encasing her, Taylor felt completely safe. Karlie didn't let go of her, which made it a little tricky descending the staircase, but they still managed it, unable to keep from laughing and smiling as they stumbled down awkwardly into the sitting room and flopped down onto the couch. Snuggling into Karlie properly again, Taylor could have just fallen asleep right there. She was a hundred percent content, curled up in Karlie's lap.

"So, can I ask some awkward questions?" She heard Karlie ask.

"I feel if I say no, you'll ask anyway, so go ahead," Taylor mumbled sleepily. Karlie laughed. Taylor loved the sound of her laugh, the way it sounded almost childlike in its purity. "Ok, so when did you realise you liked me?"

"Oh this is so awkward Karlie," Taylor groaned, squirming slightly on top of the model.

"Come on! I wanna compare answers!" Karlie nudged her with her knee, her arms wrapped around her, impatient for a response.

"I don't know." Taylor sat herself up to look at Karlie properly. "I guess I always felt like there was something between us that was more than friendship, especially on the road trip. Every time you'd hug me, or hold my hand, I know it's a cliché, but I felt butterflies come to life in the pit of my stomach every time you touched me." Taylor's words made Karlie smile even wider, and she reached out and gently traced the side of Taylor's jawline with her index finger, stirring the aforementioned butterflies inside her.

"I honestly felt exactly the same."

"It's funny isn't it, that we were going about life pretending to be all friendly with each other when we were hanging out, whilst what was really going on deep down was that we both felt more than that about each other at the same time," Taylor said, her mind flitting back to the past couple of months. All the signs had been there now she knew how Karlie felt; she'd just been too scared to acknowledge them, too scared of getting hurt in case she'd been wrong.

"I guess that's just how life works sometimes," Karlie gave a slight shrug of her left shoulder, raising an eyebrow at Taylor.

After a few moments of silence in the room, Taylor cleared her throat slightly. "So, um..." she gave Karlie a bashful smile. "Where do we go from here?"

Karlie leaned her head back against the couch, as if she'd been prepared to answer this question for a few minutes now.

"What is it?" Taylor gave a short laugh. Karlie shook her head, still smiling.

"Nothing, it's just that I still can't believe this is happening really."

"I know, it's crazy, but it's a wonderful kind of crazy."

"Yeah, it is." Karlie lifted her head back up, and shifted her legs into a cross legged position facing Taylor. "I'm happy to take things slowly, keep hanging out and getting to know each other. Is that something you'd be cool with?" Karlie asked, her eyes and mouth raised in a hopeful expression.

"Yeah, definitely, I'd love that!" Taylor nodded enthusiastically at her.

"That's great; it's good to know that we're still on the same page." Karlie raised her arms out as a gesture for an embrace, and Taylor willingly accepted, wrapping herself around Karlie's warm body. She felt so secure about them already. She glanced across to the clock hanging on the wall at the other side of the room. "Shit, it's like 2am, I'd better be getting back to the hotel." She released herself from Karlie and stood up.

"Are you going back to Nashville tomorrow?" Karlie asked her, getting up too.

"That was the plan." Taylor walked past Karlie, through to the hallway to collect her bag, the model following suit. Taylor bent down to pick her belongings up, rummaging around in her handbag for her phone.

"I know we said we were keeping it casual and stuff, and I don't want to come across as needy or anything, but can't you stay in New York for one more day?" Taylor looked up from the floor at Karlie who was gazing down at her, her back leant against the wall. "I just want to make the most of seeing you whilst you're around," she reasoned. Taylor loved that Karlie wanted her around, and that she was making it obvious. This is what she needed: no mixed signals, no confusion, just honesty.

"Perhaps I can make some last minute arrangements." She smiled slyly, slowly standing up.

"Really?" Karlie's tone rose in hope.

"Yeah, I think so." Taylor grinned. Before she knew it, Karlie had enveloped her in another bear hug, squeezing her tightly against her.

"I'm so happy! Cara's hosting a movie night at hers tomorrow; you have to come!"

"She hasn't even invited me!" Taylor laughed, as Karlie rocked them from side to side.

"Well she's not going to say you can't come if I ask can she? You're my plus one, she'll have to deal with it."

"Ok! I'll be there! Now I seriously have to go and get some rest, so you'll have to let go of me I'm afraid." Karlie pouted, as she reluctantly removed her arms from around Taylor.

"Hey, don't be sad, you'll see me tomorrow ok? You'll be sick of seeing my face by the end of the film night."

"You know that's not even remotely possible," Karlie said seriously, her eyes not averting from Taylor's the whole time, making her melt inside.

"I'll see you tomorrow then," Taylor said, turning towards the door and opening it, letting the fresh air coat her face in coolness as she stepped out into the New York night. "Let me know you're back safely!" Karlie called from the doorstep, as Taylor walked towards the open car door being held by one of her security. "I will!" She called back, turning her head to give the model a reassuring smile. Karlie gave her a small wave, and she waved back, before ducking her head and clambering into the back seat. She stared out of the window at Karlie's apartment for as long as she could before the car turned a corner and the building was out of sight. Closing her eyes, she gently leant her head back against her seat, reliving the evening all over again in her mind.