Chapter 11- Speak Now

"There you go love." Andrea Swift said, setting a steaming mug down on the coffee table.
"Thanks Mum." Taylor smiled up at her from the sofa.
She cast her eyes around the living room of her mother's house, taking in all the familiar objects. Being home always made her feel so warm inside; this was the house she'd grown up in, the place where most of her happiest memories originated. Pictures of her and her brother Austin filled up most of the walls, and photos frames lined the mantel piece, a physical timeline of their lives, ranging from baby photos to their family holiday in Spain last year, both of them tanned and smiling. Looking at all this images reaffirmed her thoughts that she'd never known a prouder parent than her own mother.

"So how have you been darling? I've not heard much from you recently." Andrea's question snapped Taylor back to the present moment.
"I... I've been good, just been taking the time to see friends really," she tried to pass off the response with a nonchalant shrug of her shoulder, but in reality she was feeling rather anxious. She'd been battling internally with herself whether to tell her mom about Karlie or not yet. She wasn't quite sure how Andrea would react; she wasn't exactly aware of Taylor's sexuality, and telling her everything she'd been going through recently felt like it would be a real shock to the system for her right now.

"Oh yes, I saw a couple of pictures of you and that model on the internet. What's her name again? Kelly? Katie?"
Taylor froze, knowing straight away whom she was referring to. Did she know something was going on? Surely not. Trying to maintain the casual act, she replied: "It's Karlie, Mom."
"Oh yes, sorry, that's the one. She's a stunning girl she is."
Taylor felt her cheeks slowly heating up. Was she just being paranoid or was she digging for something here?
"Yes, I didn't realise you two were so close," she commented, picking up her mug from the coffee table and taking a sip of tea.
"Yeah, um, I guess it just happened really." Taylor replied nervously before taking a shaky sip from her own mug.

Why was she so scared? She knew her mother would love her no matter what, it was just that she was always known as the 'serial dater of men' by the media; women didn't come into the picture as far as her public image was concerned. Even though her mother knew her media persona was exaggerated and largely fabricated, it still reinforced the idea in there being no doubts about her daughter being anything but heterosexual. She had never questioned it with Taylor because she had no need to- the press had assisted in that, and until now Taylor had felt no need to inform her of anything otherwise. For the majority of her life, she had been attracted to and dated men. It wasn't until Dianna had come into her life a few years ago that she had really begun to realise her sexuality wasn't as easy to label as she'd once thought. However, nothing had ever blossomed because of her feelings for Dianna, so there had been no necessity to bother Andrea with everything she had been feeling. They had simply been good friends as far as Andrea was concerned, and equally Dianna, who was oblivious to the truth as well for that matter. But this time was different; Karlie was different.

"Are you okay darling? You seem a little stressed." Taylor's thoughts were interrupted by her mother's question, her face creased up with concern as she stared at her.
"No, no, I'm fine, honestly I am." Taylor forced a smile onto her lips as she reassured her.
"If you're sure honey. So, how's the new music coming along?"

Glad that the topic had shifted from Karlie, Taylor began to inform her excitedly about the songs she was recording for the new album due hopefully later on in the year if things went to plan.  She had a really good feeling about the new material she had up her sleeve; it was unlike anything she had ever made before, and she had never had so much fun writing and recording with so many different and talented artists.
"Well, I can't wait to hear it all!" Andrea stood up to pick up their now empty mugs. "I know I always tell you this, but I'm so proud of you and everything you've achieved in your career."
"Thanks, Mom. You know I wouldn't be where I am now without you." Taylor beamed up at her. It didn't matter how old she got, or how many important people in the industry acknowledged and complimented her on her success; Andrea's opinion was still the opinion that mattered to her most. As long as she was still making her proud, she would keep making music. She'd worked so hard over the years to ensure that her parents' sacrifice to move their lives over to Nashville so Taylor could live out her dream career had been worth it. They'd given up so much for her, and she still wanted to prove to them that they had made the right decision.