The Whole Story

This is the entire fiction 'Shinmai Maou no Testament: The Village' in a single chapter

---------------------

Prologue: Life in the Village

It's evening, and Yuki plops down on her bed face down. She is really feeling frustrated. Two hours ago, Basara needed to 'tend' to Mio again, the third time this week. A tear slips out of her eye as she thinks, 'Can't he see that I am the one that really loves him?' Still, she keeps her jealously in check – she has trained rigorously to avoid raw emotions that can affect your judgment. She even has a difficult time expressing her love for the man who saved her life. Mio may not think she has any restraint towards Basara, but she does... she does...

She and Basara were really good friends growing up, doing everything together. They laughed, played, and talked when they weren't training or studying. She came over to Basara's house whenever her dad would let her. She even had a key! There was many a day that she would be at the Toujou house waiting patiently for Jin-San to bring Basara home after finishing his extra training. Because of his exceptional ability, the elders would often have him do training with the adults after the kids were dismissed. She had the salve ready to put on his wounds, and they would often just hang out talking while he was wincing from the pain.

She also was glad that many times Takashi and his mom would be over to the Toujou house, because she was a great cook! Whenever Kurumi would follow Yuki to Basara's, the four of them would study together and then have a great time playing in the living room while Takashi's mom and Jin-San would talk in the kitchen.

A lot of those evenings Jin-San would wake her up, as she and Basara would both fall asleep watching the TV leaning against each other, with Kurumi splayed out on a chair snoring! Then Jin-San would walk her and Kurumi home as she talked about what she and Basara did in their daily training. Sometimes she and Kurumi were so tired that Jin-San would carry them, one in each arm, to their house. Yuki thought very highly of Jin-San, almost like a 'gift' dad.

Even though he was stronger, faster and more skilled than any of the other kids, Basara was also the most kind... did she think of him as her boyfriend? Even back then at 10 years old, she really thought he would be the one for her – so did all of the other kids! She and Basara were razzed by the other kids because they seemed like they were dating. At 10, things like real kissing were not truly considerations, but this was different. She loved playing games with him, even though he almost always won, training with him, and just hanging out with him. She always felt like something was missing when he wasn't around. Thinking about that, she was so naïve at 10. She loved him even then...

It's almost six years ago now; the day when everything fell apart, the day Seito took Brynhildr and went on a spirit possessed rampage. He killed 21 heroes and 6 children training to be heroes. Then he set his sights... on her.

Basara could have run, and no one would have thought anything of it. He was just a kid, and trained heroes were falling to Seito. But Basara was not going to run.

He had something he needed to protect.

Seito, with a grin of pure evil on his face, lifted his sword. As he brought it down, the power within Basara was released in a pulse of pure unadulterated energy. Everything in a 25 meter radius was vaporized, even the ground down to 20 feet, except the plateau of earth they were standing on! Basara's first use of Banishing Shift saved him and Yuki from certain death. It even purified the cursed sword Brynhildr of all of the spirits it had captured. But when the villagers approached the small raised plateau that Basara, Yuki and Brynhildr were on, they did not look at Basara like he was a hero that saved them all...