Chapter 25

Taylor's POV

Words can not express how I felt walking into the gray curtained room.
There was Annie, laying in the hospital bed. She looked so tiny, compared to the bed. I immediately ran over to her and cried. I stayed there for about 5 minutes until I heard the door open.

In walks an expressionless Rose.

She looks at Annie for a long time. Then she looks at me. She slowly walks over to me and sits on my lap. She looks up at me and uses her little hand to dry my tears.

"Don't worry, she's going to be fine." She says.

I smile down at her, but she's already looked back at Annie.

"Can we go somewhere else? I want to show you something."

"Of course." I said.

We stand up, and she takes her hand in mine. We walk out of the room, and we quickly tell my parents and Calvin that we are going on a little excursion. Rose leads me all the way back to the car. When I ask where we are going, she just takes my phone and types an address into the GPS.

Before I know it, we are in the Jersey Shore. We pull up into a house that has a for sale sign in front of it. It's a small single family home, that's a bit run down, but looks like it was well loved.

We step out of the car, and Rose takes my hand again.

"This was our house," she said quietly.

I look down to give her a look of, love, confusion and curiosity, but she's just staring at the house.

After a minute she lets go of my hand to button up her sweater. It's a bit chilly for an early September day.

Just as I was about to say something, Rose starts walking towards the house. She walks to the left of the front door and into some bushes. I follow her curiously. She lifts one of the shingles from the house, that reveals a little box that has a key. She takes the key out and walks to the front door. She slips the key into the rusty hole and opens the door. She takes my hand, and we walk in.

I immediately feel the draftiness hit me. The house is dusty, and there are cobwebs everywhere, but it smells like fresh pine.

Rose begins to give me a tour, I can see she's chocking back more and more tears with every room she goes to.

She leads me up to an attic, which is full of things. She walks over to a huge trunk and opens it with the same key as the front door.

"They wouldn't let me take it to the orphanage." She says as she opens it.

Inside are pictures, clothing, documents and trinkets that must have belonged to her parents.

I see a tear roll down her cheek as she pulls out an old suit jacket.

"This was my father's favorite suit. He wore it everywhere, the mall, the supermarket, work and place you can think of. He even wore it if we went out for lunch at a diner or something. He called it his suit of armer, and claimed it could protect him from anything. He would always have things in his pocket for me and Annie. Sometimes it was candy, or maybe a little toy, sometimes even notes. Reaching into his pocket for me and Annie was like Christmas morning."

When she finished, she took the suit and held it close.

"This was my mother's ring." She said pulling out a pearl ring.

"Was it her wedding ring?" I asked.

"No. She never had a wedding ring. My mother did not like to be over the top, and I don't think they really had the money for fancy things. She enjoyed "simplicity" as she would say. Unlike my dad, she would only wear this ring on very special occasions. You could tell something big was happening if she was wearing the ring. She said she didn't need fancy clothes or jewelry to make her happy, she just needed me, Annie and my dad."

Rose started full on crying after she said that last sentence.

"Baby come here." I said opening up my arms. She scooted into them.

"They sound like the most amazing people," I said.

"Do you want to meet them?" She said sniffling.

"Okay." I said standing up. I didn't really know what to think or do, so I just went along with it.

She led me outside into the small grassy backyard. The backend of the yard was actually a small wood. She led me through a path going downwards. I have to say, it was breathtaking. The trees were changing color, and some leaves had fallen. It felt like I was walking in the enchanted forrest.

Once we were out of the woods (haha get it) we followed one more path, where we ended up at a little grassy area with flowers all around it. It was over looking the near by dock and ocean, which is where the family must have kept their boat. In this little area, there was a small bench for 2.

"Meet Cynthia and Alex Palmer." She said pointing to the bench.

I immediately caught on and went along with it.

"Very nice to meet both of you!" I said cheerfully. "My name is Taylor, and I've been looking after your girls! They are so amazing and wonderful."

Rose smiled up at me. Then she sat down on the bench, and I sat next to her.

"Every night, no matter what season or if we were sick, we would come out here and watch the boats come in and look at the stars. My parents would always sit on this bench with the same blanket around them, and Annie and I would sit in the grass."

"That sounds so fun and beautiful." I said.

Rose snuggled up to me and rested her head on my chest. She didn't say anything for a while.

"Whatcha thinking?" I asked.

"I'm talking to my parents." She said with her eyes closed.

"Oh, sorry to interrupt you!"

"It's fine, we were just finishing she said opening her eyes and sitting up."

"Can I ask what you were talking about?"

"We were talking about you, and what happened to Annie and Calvin. They think that you're amazing a they're so glad your my mommy."

"Aww, tell them I said thank you." I said pulling her in for a hug.

"They also said that Annie was going to be okay." She whispered in my ear.

I lifted my head and looked at her.

"Well, then it must be true," I said leaning my head back in.

It must be.