Chapter Eighteen

NIALL

I took a deep breath and looked into this girl's hazel eyes. God, I loved Maren so much and keeping everything from her was killing me. If she wanted to know, I couldn't stop her. Maren was bound to find out her past, slowly maybe but surely. I gave her a reassuring smile.

"Okay, all of it."

It was mid July and we were all hanging out at Harry's dad's place. In celebration of our X-Factor success, we were having a cook-out. All of the families were there and it was just brilliant. But there was Maren.

After my first attempt in October, I had tried asking her out twice: once in February and the other time around April. Both answers had simply been "no" which killed me inside. I couldn't talk to Liam about it because as he was one of my best mates, that was his little sister. The guy could pummel me.

I just stuck with my plan of being friends with her, but I honestly it was hard. She was just so amazing that being friends sucked.

But I was building up my courage again. I wouldn't stop until Maren was mine.

So it was perfect that mid July evening. Maren was all alone, reading by the pool when everyone else was doing karaoke inside (apparently, it's a thing). I took the opportunity to sit down next to her.

"Hi." She said.

"Hi." I said.

"Can I ask you something?" Maren asked, giving me a sideways glance.

"Anything."

"Why do you want to go out with me, Niall?" Maren spoke softly.

I gave her a puzzled look and turned so my body was facing her. "Maren?"

"Hmm?"

"Because you're absolutely amazing." I said with a growing smile. "It's everything about you that I love. It's your smile, your laugh, your intelligence, your humor... It's your everything." I gushed out.

I don't know if it was the beer that I had earlier or the chlorine getting to my head, but I had finally let my feelings out for this girl I so desperately wanted to go out with.

"Then yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes, Niall, I'd love to go on a date with you."

I took a breath. "Before your accident, we were dating."

Maren nodded slowly. "I expected as much, go on."

"We've been dating for almost two months. And we fell in love. It's pretty simple actually."

"So why didn't you tell me?" Maren asked, fingering the ends of her sweatpants.

"Because Liam didn't want to overwhelm you..."

Maren let out a hoot of laughter. "Oh my god, that's my brother."

I laughed lightly. "Yeah, and I respected his wishes. You are his sister."

"Tell me about it." Maren sank back into the couch pillows. "So how exactly did you get Liam to let you date me?"

I chuckled on that question. "It wasn't easy."

"Hey, Liam?" I said as we walked to the studio some days after Maren said yes to a date with me.

"Yeah, Niall?"

"I have a general question for you." I said, careful and tentative about how I approached the matter. I wanted Liam's approval of the date as he was my best mate as well as Maren's older brother who I was certain would beat me into a pulp if I ever hurt Maren.