Chapter Twenty One: Epilogue

-Epilogue-

MAREN

It's been seven months since the accident. It's been seven months since my life has been turned upside down.

I still hadn't remembered anything that was long gone by now, but I didn't mind.

I found out a lot of things though since Liam had been readily able to answer any questions. I found out I had dropped out of school because of my dance team and my commitment to it. I figured I needed education so I enrolled in CyberSchool because I loved traveling with the band. And I guess they enjoyed my company too.

They're all like my brothers. Louis is sort of the opposite of Liam which makes him great to hang around. His girlfriend Eleanor is lovely and when she's around, we shop and go to Starbucks together. Zayn is easy to talk to and is always there when I need him to be. Perrie, Zayn's girlfriend, is fun to be around. I even got to meet her band, Little Mix. Harry's my partner in crime, next to Louis of course. We play pranks on all the other guys all the time. And then there's Niall, but he's a totally different story.

Shortly after I had tried to leave in the middle of the night, Liam and I took a trip to Wolverhampton together to visit our family. I missed everyone so much and so many things had changed.

Niall and I ended up having that second chance. Weeks after I tried to get away, he asked me out on a date. I said no only because I felt the timing wasn't right. I was still maybe, emotionally unstable. But then a month went by and he asked me out again. That time I said yes.

Liam later told me that was sort of ironic because we had been in a similar situation the first time Niall and I dated.

Now Niall and I have been dating for 5 months. I still try to remember things from my past but it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just fine with who I am now and how my life is. The past is past and there's no use in worrying about it anymore.

I'm just finally content with my life.

Even though the boys and management had tried to keep my memory loss under wraps, so there wouldn't be a lot of spotlight on me, word got out anyway. I was constantly mobbed by paparazzi for being Niall's girlfriend, Liam's little sister, and having lost my memory. I'm a mini celebrity in my own right I guess.

Finally management set up a radio interview to calm down the public. It includes the boys and me.

"I'm nervous," I whisper to Niall who sits next to me. Liam is sitting on the other side of me, then Zayn, Louis, and Harry.

"Don't be," Niall says with a small reassuring smile. "You'll be fine. It's easy, I promise."

"Did I ever do an interview before?" I ask as all around us, the radio crew sets up.

"Once," Niall says.

"How did I do?"

"Okay, except you stuttered a lot." Niall chuckles.

I glare and hit him lightly. "Not helping,"

"Sorry, babe,"

"Are we ready?" The radio host, Melinda, asks. We all nod and suddenly we're on air.

"So we're now with One Direction and their plus one, Maren whose Liam's sister and currently dating band member Niall." Melinda says. "There have been rumors floating around that Maren had lost her memory in a tragic car accident that happened nearly seven months ago. We want confirmation. So, Maren, is that true?"

I clear my throat and I feel Niall's hand hold my unsteady one. "Yeah, I lost my memory from a car accident."

"And have you recovered from it?" Melinda asks

"Physically, yes. Mentally, no. I don't remember anything from a certain point up to the accident."

"How do you feel about that, Liam?" Melinda questions

Liam speaks up. "It's devastating really, that my sister won't get those memories back, but at the same time we're coping just fine without them."

"It must have been heartbreaking hearing the news that Maren won't remember a thing from a certain period, huh, Niall?" Melinda turns to him.

"It was honestly. But we're in a much better place now." Niall smiles at me and gives my hand a squeeze.

"Maren, do you think you'll gain those memories back?"

I think for a second. Sure, it would be nice to have all of those lost pieces of my life return to my knowing but maybe I'm better off without it. I don't know where I'd be with or without them really. Things happen for a reason, right? "No. I try to remember, but in the end everything worked out just fine."

I smile back at Niall. His blue eyes are bright and say things word can't. They're the same eyes I woke up to the day after the accident, the same eyes I hope I won't ever get tired of seeing day after day.

Yeah, everything worked out just fine.