Chapter Nineteen

LIAM

I woke up in the middle of the night because I mainly had to pee, but also because I couldn't sleep. I blamed it on chocolate. Every time I ate it before bed, I had weird dreams and couldn't sleep until close to 2 in the morning.

But chocolate was fantastically amazing.

I did my business and shuffled into the kitchen afterwards; hoping some warm milk might help me sleep.

As I sat down with my glass filled to the brim with warm milk, I spotted a note sitting on the kitchen table. I reached for it.

Guys,

Sorry. I'm leaving. I needed to go. Hope you understand.

xx Maren

I dropped the glass of milk, the contents spilling out and the glass shattering as it made contact with the wooden table.

Maren was leaving? Or did she already leave? And for where? Wolverhampton, probably.

I ran to her room, throwing the door open and praying my little sister was still snuggled in bed, snoring.

But the bed was empty. I flipped the lights on. Everything about the room had missing pieces.

Photos on her bookshelf- gone, her favorite teddy bear- gone, her shoes and some clothes- gone.

She had left. Was it too late? Who had driven her to the airport? Did she have a plan arranged? Why didn't she tell us sooner? Why did she just leave so abruptly?

Maybe it wasn't too late to catch her before she left, just to at least say goodbye.

"Niall! Harry! Lou! Zayn! Guys, wake up!" I yelled, turning off the lights and closing the door of Maren's empty room.

NIALL

It was close to 3 in the morning when I heard Liam's frantic yells. I sat up in bed and rubbed my eyes as he came flying into my room.

"Niall, get up. Come on. Maren left and we need to catch her flight." He said urgently.

At the sound of Maren's name, I was immediately alert. "What? She left? When? Why?"

Liam just shook his head. "No time, we got to go. Louis! Harry! Zayn!" Liam dashed out of my room to wake the others.

I splashed cold water on my face and put on some shoes, not caring what I looked like. Maren was the only thing on my mind.

Harry and Zayn stumbled out of their rooms with Louis following, their face still softened with sleep. "Liam, what is it?" Zayn mumbled.

"Maren left. She's gone back home to Wolverhampton. I can't let her go without at least a goodbye." Liam said as he hurriedly searched for a matching sneaker.

"What?" Harry asked, surprised.

"Yeah, there's a note on the counter." Liam jutted his chin towards it.

"You better go." Louis said, his eyes skimming the note. "We'll stay here. Niall, you too."

I nodded and Liam ushered me out the door.

As we drove to the airport, I was drowning in questions that I couldn't answer like: Why did she leave? Why didn't she tell us she was leaving? Why did she break up with me? How could she not see how much I loved her? Why couldn't she have stayed?

Liam glanced over at me from the driver's seat. "It'll be alright, mate. I called my mum and she said Maren's flight is leaving at a quarter to 4. We can make it."