Chapter 2

All the staff had to go by was a name and a name alone. No surname and not even a full first name... But they had a name, and that alone was a monumental step for their Jane Doe. Dr. Richardson was very pleased that his patient had remembered something real from her actual life. She had done the hard part, and they were tasked with the easy part. Putting a face to a name.

It had been Nurse Amy who was able to work with Jane and figured out that Beca was actually short for Rebeca and she had brown hair. It still wasn't much, but Jane was making progress better than none and also providing vital information that could help solve the mystery that was her identity. Amy dedicated most of her time with her patient and newfound friend. She wanted to help as much as she could and provide a few laughs along the way. Anything that helped Jane in such an unfortunate situation. Jane appreciated her nurse. She didn't really know what words to use so that she could voice that, but Amy knew. It was in the way Jane's face lit up every time Amy entered her room.

It was approximately 13 hours since they had figured out that Beca was actually Rebeca and that she had brown hair when they got a surname. Jane wasn't the one who provided it, it had been the police department. They'd found Jane's phone at the scene of the accident, completely obliterated, nonetheless, but still useful. From the broken technology they were able to extract a contact name, from the internal SIM card, saved under Rebeca Mitchell. It was the only Rebeca in her contact list so they only assumed that she was the remembered Rebeca that Jane had spoken about.

So they reached out to her in hopes that if she wasn't the right person, then maybe she would still be able to provide some answers. The moment they were able to get in contact with her, she had rushed to the hospital. Beca had arrived in what seemed to be a state of shock. The moment the nurse told her what room "Jane Doe" was in, she dismissed the thought that it could actually be Louisa. Louisa had always been so careful, so well put together. Beca often times thought she was just a little too perfect. So nothing this disastrous, this traumatic could actually happen to her. Beca's thoughts were reeling as she walked down the hall on shaky legs with a feeling of indifference as her eyes scanned across each room number that she passed by. "535, 536, 537..." She stood stock still when she had finally came to the door the nurse directed her to. "538"

She slowly shifted her arm out and her fingers twitched just above the door handle. It lingered there for a moment before she dropped it. She felt an anxiety attack creeping towards her. "This is silly... It may not even be her." Her eyes were fixed on the name plate that sat right under the room number. It read "Jane Doe"

"This is silly." Again. She told herself as she brought her hand up in a second attempt to open the door. This time she got as far as turning the handle before a thought went crashing into her like an asteroid.

"What if it really is her?" She couldn't do it. She felt that physically and emotionally she just couldn't do it. She didn't think she could take ever seeing Louisa again let alone seeing her all beat up. It was a little too much. Beca let go of the door handle as if it had burned her, letting it click back into place.

She felt herself beginning to hyperventilate. "Damnit, where are the nurses and doctors in this place?" She muttered bitterly as she looked up and down the empty hall. Everything felt like it was too much for her. She let her back hit the wall opposite of the room that Louisa was supposedly in. She stared at the room number, it was mocking her.

"She can't really be in there." She felt the sting of tears in the back of her eyes for the first time since she had set foot in the hospital. "I can't do this." She shook her head and wiped away a stray tear that had escaped.

She found herself walking back to the front without even noticing at first. She didn't stop even after the regret or guilt came to haunt her, it only made her cry harder. The logical part of her brain told her that even if she were to stay she definitely couldn't face Louisa if she was this much of a mess anyway. So it was probably best that she left.