Chapter 8

Chloe laid on her side as she stared blankly at her bedroom wall. Her girlfriend's cellphone was the reason she was lying hopelessly awake, and there wasn't a chance she was falling asleep any time soon, not after what she heard transpire between the two speaking on the phone. She blinked away a tear and she bit her bottom lip just to stifle her cry. Why was she even crying? She wasn't even sure of what she heard, but the possibility of her hearing what she thought she heard correctly both enraged her and hurt her feelings. She thought Louisa had said something about Rebeca being pregnant and yet that little topic had never came up in any of the previous conversations Chloe had with Rebeca. She'd never mentioned anything about being pregnant or even trying for a baby in the past. And how could Rebecca just simply forget to mention something like that? 

She wiped her eyes as she cried silently, overhearing how Louisa asked her to stay on the phone and how Rebeca eventually agreed. Chloe, could guess why this was affecting her so much, for the obvious reasons of course, but also for a few other reasons as well. Reasons, she didn't want to acknowledge at that particular moment. Before long, Rebeca had quieted and so had Louisa. Only when she was positive that Rebeca wouldn't wake up if she moved, she decided turn over to face her snoozing girlfriend. Rebeca lay cutely and peacefully asleep with Louisa on the other end resting the same. She stared at the brunette with tear stained cheeks and shook her head. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes." She whispered before she carefully pulled the phone out of her grasp and ended the call without a second thought.

She dropped her head to her pillow and stared at the woman she loved. In all of their three years together Rebeca had never made Chloe feel like this before, despite their situation. This was the moment, Chloe thought, when things would become hard. Now, seemingly out of nowhere, everything they'd built together was questionable, and all because Rebeca had neglected to tell her something very important regarding her past.

She wanted to think logically and tactfully about everything so that she may come up with a way to approach Rebeca about the situation, but all she found herself doing that night was curling up into the fetal position and crying herself back to sleep.

X

Rebeca pried heavy eyelids apart as sleep slowly began to escape her. She reached each of her limbs in opposite directions as she stretched her tired muscles. Her eyebrows furrowed automatically when she didn't feel the usual warm body beside her. "Babe?" The brunette asked to no one in particular, seeing how she was in the bed alone. She felt quite confused when Chloe was nowhere to be found in the bedroom. There wasn't a note or a text left for her either like her girlfriend would normally do if she left before Rebeca would awaken.

Rebeca rubbed her eyes as she made her way into the living room where she could smell the crisp smell of freshly brewed coffee, and a small smile spread across her face. Well, she'd undoubtedly solved the mystery of her missing girlfriend. "Morning, baby, I kind of..." the brunette placed a chaste kiss to Chloe's cheek and wrapped her arms around her neck. "Panicked when I woke up and you weren't there." She smiled.

Chloe stared off into the distance while holding her coffee mug with both hands. She didn't offer much of a response to her girlfriend save for a slight shrug of her shoulders and an indecipherable groan.
Rebeca furrowed her eyebrows and smiled blissfully. "Somebody needs to get a little more sleep... how about you finish your coffee and head back to bed, and I make you breakfast and wake you when it's done? How does that sound?"

Chloe hesitantly brought blue eyes to meet brown ones and worried her bottom. "I can't sleep." She spoke softly.

"What's wrong, are you not feeling well?"

Chloe swatted away Rebeca's hand that was undoubtedly moving to check her forehead.
"I feel fine. I just didn't get enough sleep last night."

Rebeca's eyebrows shot up as she cringed softly. "Okay, well clearly you're not in the best of moods, and I'll write that off due to your lack of sleep." She sighed as she moved to the fridge. "Maybe breakfast can make you feel better."