Chapter 2: Meeting My Frenemy

(DRACO)

Getting out of the fireplace at Madam Malkin's, a woman with long, silky black here catches my attention. I feel as though I've seen her somewhere, but I have no idea where. Suddenly, a young girl, about my age, emerges from a dressing room, wearing black robes, and her brown curls bouncing up and down on her shoulders. Obviously noting my stare, she looks at me and smiles the most sweetest smile, and starts walking towards me.

"Hi, I'm Catriona," she introduces herself, " Catriona Goldstein. What's your name?"

"Yoflam Ocard-I mean Draco Malfoy!" I say stupidly. My mum looks at me quickly, and returns her gaze to the woman with black hair.

"That's my mum, if you're wondering," she explains.

"Oh!" I say surprisingly, though I don't know why...

"I assume that the blonde woman is your mum," she guesses while mounting on a tayloring stool. Madam Malkin walks over to her with some needles.

"Mind you, try not to move!" Malkin tells her, and starts poking needles here and there. I decide to pluck up some courage and start talking to her. 

"What house do you think you'll be in?" I ask her, curious of course.

"I'm going to be a Slytherin! My entire family's been in that house forever! What about you?" she replies.

"Same here!" I tell her excitedly. Maybe I'll have an actual friend for once, rather than Parkinson, Crabbe and Goyle. 

"That's so co-OW! Watch where you point those things, woman!" Catriona screams. I, being startled by all this, step back a bit.

"I told you not to move!" Madam Malkin scolds. Catriona's mum-Mrs. Goldstein-walks over to Catriona.

"Come Catriona," she says, "I think these robes will do. Madam Malkin, I believe we'll pay for them now, thank you very much. I apologize so much Nacrissa! It was so nice seeing you again! We should meet up soon. It'll be nice to see Lucius again, too! Goodbye Draco."

"B-bye," I say stupidly once more.

"It really was nice meeting you!" Catriona comes and shakes my hand.

"You too! See you at the train station? We could meet up and sit in the same compartment," Gosh, I sound like an idiot, "I have some friends who'll be there too. I'm sure they'll be delighted to meet you."

"Sounds like a plan! Definitely!" she answers, "See you then! Bye!"

And with that, she leaves me and my mother, here. Some voices are talking, I think my mum and Madam Malkin. But I don't care. I just made my first real friend.

***

(CATRIONA)

I. Am. Such. An. Idiot. IDIOT. He must've thought I was a monster! If I had just LET him speak, he would've got to say something. URGH. But he must've liked me. He invited me to sit with him on the train! Anyways, I think Harry Potter just passed by!

"Mum! Mum! Look! It's Harry Potter! Right over there! D'you see him?!" I tug at my mum's sleeve, and she looks over to Gringotts.

"Why, I DO!" she says excitedly, "It is! I can see his scar! That's quite amazing! I suppose you'll be seeing him at Hogwarts. Maybe you two will be in the same house! But we must get a move on! We still need to get your wand. But let's stop for some ice cream at Florean's?"

"Thanks mum!" I say, running ahead to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Shoppe. After my mum catches up and we pay for my ice cream, we walk past Eeylops Owl Emporium.

"I really would like an owl, mum." I say, hope filling my voice.

"Of course! An owl! I'll be able to send you some Howlers!" my mum jokes, "Finish your ice cream quick, and we can go in!"

I, being the greedy little girl I am, gulp down my scoop of ice cream quickly, and run into the store. You wouldn't believe the cages! It covered the walls from inch to inch! Rats here, toads, there, owls everywhere, a ginger cat lurking about. As soon as I enter, a beautiful Eagle Owl catches my eye.

"Can I have that one, please?" I turn to my mum quickly. She looks at the owl perched up high.

"It looks lovely! Of course you ca-AH!" the ginger cat flies by my mum's ear, tail brushing against my face. A short stout of a woman walks past us. 

"So terribly sorry about that!" the lady says, "Crookshanks is always going about! No one wants him!"

"We'd like the Eagle Owl up there please." my mum croaks, still filled with fear.

"Of course, ma'am," replies the lady. She brings out her wand, gives it a quick flick and the cage containing the owl floats gently to the check-out counter. My mum hands the woman a few galleons, and we leave quickly.

"What're you going to name it?" mum asks me, trying to hide the shock in her voice. I can tell she's still startled by what happened.

"I think...Lilith!" I begin, "In Hebrew, it means 'of the night' and it suits her perfectly!"

"It's a beautiful name Cat! I love it!" my mum hugs my shoulders, and we walk off to Ollivanders. To my shock, Draco's there!

I walk in, careful not to make any noise.

"The wand chooses the wizard, Draco," a raspy voice says from behind the counter. A man with surprisingly white and messy hair stands there. 

"Alright," Draco says, "How about that one over there?" 

The man, whom I assume is Ollivander, walks over and gets a rectangle box, pulling out the wand.

"Ah, nice choice, Mister Draco," Ollivander hands Draco the wand, "Hawthorn wood, Unicorn hair core, 10 inchers, reasonably springy. Try it out! Point to that book on the top shelf, and say 'Accio book'!" 

"Accio book!" and a sudden gust of wind comes from no where, and the book comes down gently.

"Well, well, well," Ollivander smiles, "Looks like you've found the right one. That'll be seventeen Galleons and thirteen knuts."

Draco leaves with his wand, and walks over to me.

"When will you stop following me?" he says to me, grinning stupidly.

"I'll stop following you after I get my wand!" I say sheepishly. Oh my goodness, I'm so nervous.

"Alright, I can live with that!" he says, "See you later, bye!" 

Boys. Why are they such idiots! Doesn't he know how he makes me feel?