The Chunin Exams: P.8

*edited*

Chapter 21: The Chunin Exams: P.8

                Itachi gave me more than enough to think about, which helped to pass the time as Kakashi began to teach Sasuke his own jutsu: the Chidori. I was pretty certain that this was something Kakashi shouldn’t be teaching him, considering that Ducky was going to betray us soon, but I didn’t comment.

                Throughout the day, I was constantly resisting the urge to just teleport away and bring an end to Danzo’s long and miserable life. I also really wanted to talk about it with someone else (such as Kakashi, despite his idiot-ness), but I had a feeling that Itachi had meant for this to be confidential information. Which meant no telling Kakashi.

                Tearing my thoughts away from the whole messed up situation, I found the last Uchiha (at least in Konoha) attempting, yet again, to change his chakra nature. He was improving quickly, but because he was only being taught one skill, it was quite boring to watch. Kakashi clearly had the same idea, as he had his back against the tree on the other side of Sasuke, reading his book.

                Too bad Melissa wasn’t here.

                As the sky got darker and darker, I teleported away and brought back takeout for the three of us. Teleporting such a long distance put a bit of a toll on my stamina, but it was a lot better than flying all the way or, God forbid, running. And plus, now we had food.

                We set up a watch system: it would be Sasuke first, then Kakashi, and then me. While it was relatively safe here, just a few meters outside of the village of Konoha, it would also be a perfect chance for enemies to attack. After all, we had the last Uchiha (except for the one that paid me such a kind visit yesterday, of course), the famous Copy Ninja, and the Izanami who held the Sun Goddess.

                Basically, we made the perfect recipe for disaster. Our combined chakras were like a beacon of light, calling to every enemy nearby, “Here I am! Come and get me!”

                Therefore, a watch system was a good idea. Besides, it was good training… mainly for Sasuke, as both Kakashi and I had been doing this for years.

                As Sasuke sat down to take first watch, I waited for Kakashi to fall asleep, listening as his breathing evened out, before teleporting away, leaving a clone in my place. Ignoring the sudden loss of chakra from the long distance, I found myself just outside the Hokage’s office.

                I knocked on the door before entering, and found the Hokage smoking his usual pipe and scribbling something down on a piece of paper. He looked up as I entered and put down his pen.

                “Kira,” he said. “How’s it going?”

                I pretended to ponder the question. “It’s alright, I guess,” I said. “Could be worse. I know it’s the first day, but Kakashi at least hasn’t worked Sasuke to death yet. Although Sasuke did start making these weird dying-horse noises at some point…”

                The Hokage gave me a flat look.

                “I swear I stopped Kakashi before it got worse. But there’s something else I was hoping to talk to you about, and it’s strictly confidential.” My heart was pounding just at the thought of anybody else eavesdropping on what I was about to talk to him about. Out of habit, I scanned for nearby chakra signatures, and was relieved to find that there were none.