A C-Ranked Mission

*edited**

                “Kira!” Kakashi’s hushed (but still annoying) voice cut into my thoughts.

                “Wassup, dude?”

                “Are you in position or not?”

                “I’m in position,” I drawled, already bored. Why had they dragged me along for a mission as stupid and easy as this? I was a Jonin. I needed excitement!

                “Okay, ready, set… go!” Kakashi shouted, and I just watched as Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke launched themselves at the poor, unsuspecting kitty we’d been hired to catch. Naruto grabbed her first, and she started scratching his face like crazy. I giggled and jumped down from my tree, walking toward them.

                “Target confirmed,” Sasuke said into his headset.

                “Come here, Tora,” I coaxed, holding out my arms. The kitty took one look at me and leapt into them, purring contently as I stood up. “Let’s go. Stupid mission, stupid kitty, stupid teammates, stupid Hokage, stupid Kaka-baka…”

                “I am not stupid!” yelled Naruto, hurrying to stand in front of me and crossing his arms. “I’m gonna be Hokage one day! Believe it!”

                “I’m sure you will,” I said sincerely, brushing past him. Kakashi joined us as we were about halfway out of the forest, and I spared him a tiny glance. “Yo, Kaka-baka.”

                He gave me an incredulous glance. “Just yesterday, you said that it wasn’t all bad. How about we start the re-bonding process by getting rid of that nickname?”

                “Hey, Ducky,” I called, instead of responding to the silver-haired man beside me. “I’ll pay you to get rid of him.”

                “Then you could be our official team leader,” Sasuke said, and I could’ve sworn I saw his dark eyes sparkle with mischief. “There’s no need for Kakashi, anyway.”

                Sakura, still blinded by her crush on Sasuke, nodded eagerly. “Yeah! There’s no need for Kakashi-sensei!”

                We’d reached the Hokage tower by then, and I kicked at the door with my foot, my arms occupied with the cat that was still curled up and happy, and a Jonin opened it from the inside. I smiled at him as I passed, and he nodded back.

                “I’m definitely feeling the hate,” I heard Kakashi mutter. I couldn’t help but grin.

                I kicked at the Hokage’s office door, knocking twice, and another Jonin opened it. “Really?” he asked, raising his eyebrows at me. “Kira, we don’t kick doors. Especially not Lord Hokage’s doors.”

                I just beamed at him and walked with as much swagger as I could into the office. A fat lady was standing in the corner, and her eyes lit up as she spotted Tora. “Oh, my cute Tora!” she squealed, practically snatching the cat away from me. She then proceeded to trap the poor kitty in a ginormous bear hug. Snake hug was, perhaps, the better term for it.

                Just watching it made me feel rather sorry for the cat. No wonder she’d run away…

                “Hey, old man!” Naruto suddenly yelled from beside me. “I want a harder mission! These D-ranked missions are boring and lame!”