Cycles

*edited*

Chapter 13: Cycles

                “I-It’s okay, Inari!” Naruto said. “You can cry!”

                “N-No way!” Inari tried to look strong. “I won’t cry! But you can if you want to, Naruto!”

                Of course, when Naruto turned away, both of them were bawling. I grinned, and turned back to Tazuna. “So,” I said, “what’s this bridge going to be called?”

                “Well, you and Naruto changed Inari’s heart, who in turn roused the villagers… is there any other name we can give this bridge?”

                “The Kira-Naruto Bridge? Naruto-Kira?” Inari tried. I smiled.

                “While I deeply appreciate the thought, please leave my name out of it.”

                “Kira!” Kakashi called, and I turned to see that they were nearing the end of the newly-completed bridge. “Let’s go!”

                I turned back to Tazuna and the villagers. “Do me a favor,” I said, and Tazuna nodded.

                “Anything.”

                “Name it ‘the Great Naruto Bridge’, won’t you?”

                Inari clapped his hands in delight. “That sounds great!”

                “If that’s your wish,” Tazuna said. “Thank you, again. You’ve all helped out so much.”

                “Anytime. Come and visit! Try not to rile Naruto up next time.” I winked at Tazuna, before turning and following my teammates. This was exactly why I loved being a ninja of Konohagakure.

***

                A crow circled overhead, letting out a loud cry. The Hokage wanted us?

                “Hey, you three,” I called to the Genin, who turned to glance at me curiously. “Go home. We’re done for the day.”

                “That was fast,” Sasuke remarked. I just shrugged and teleported away, making sure that Kakashi hadn’t missed the sign. He hadn’t.

                The Hokage had set up camp in a tent-like secret meeting place. I mingled among the other ninja, squeezing in beside Kurenai. “Hey,” she said, smiling at me. “How’ve you been?”

                “Great,” I said. “The mission went really well, too.”

                “That’s awesome! Hey, do you have any tricks for training Ino Yamanaka? She’s a good girl, but you know, her and Sakura…”

                “Oh, don’t even remind me.” We both laughed. “At least you don’t have Sasuke on your team. Just show her something that’ll give her motivation; in my case, or rather, in Sakura’s case, her motivation is the rest of her team. She feels a bit inferior to them, and so she works harder.”

                “Makes sense.” Kurenai gave me a thumbs-up. “Thanks. You always were the smartest.”

                I laughed. “You’re kidding,” I said, and was about to continue when the Hokage called us to attention. At the last possible second, Kakashi wedged himself in beside me. I rolled my eyes.