Combination

*edited*

Sorry, I know these edited chapters are a bit shorter, but they're definitely more sensible and generally more well-written (I sincerely hope so, anyway). I didn't want to mess up the chapters and numbering, so the chapters will just be shorter for a while until we reach the point when I started writing longer - and better - chapters the first time.

Thanks for reading!

- Karina

Chapter 10: Combination

                My injury had finally begun to heal, and the other three adults had finally stopped fussing over it. It really was not that big of a deal to begin with, but they’d made it a big deal.

                Without the ability to move, I had had a lot of time to think, and I’d been thinking up a new jutsu. Now, a week after the initial injury, Naruto and Sasuke were nearing the tops of their respective trees, and I was ready to try out a new jutsu that I’d thought up.

                Basically, the idea was this: I could do the Chidori, a technique of Kakashi’s; I could also do the Rasengan, an idea of Minato-sensei’s. So what would happen if I combined them? Was it even possible?

                Of course it was possible. Everything was possible.

                It was seven in the morning, and I was standing in the clearing where the Genin usually trained. They were still in bed, as they’d trained late into the night the day before, and so I was alone. Even Kakashi was still asleep.

                I made a shadow doppelganger and held out my hand. She – I – mirrored me, and I formed a Chidori while she – I – formed a Rasengan. Slowly, we brought our hands close together, focusing hard on combining the two chakras, and they’d almost merged together when one of us lost focus, and I was thrown backward into the nearby tree.

                “Close,” I said. “Let’s do this.”

                “Let’s,” she echoed in agreement.

                I did it again. Theoretically, it was possible to merge the two, as the Rasengan was basically a ball of chakra, and the Chidori was a ball of chakra morphed into a different shape and with a different nature. If I could take that basic first step and get them to merge, then I could most likely get them to co-exist.

                “Wait,” I said suddenly, an idea popping into my head. “What if they both started as Rasengans…”

                “That’s merge-able,” she said. “And then you slowly incorporate the idea of a Chidori into it.”

                “But the Chidori requires hand signs. I can’t do it if one hand’s holding a Rasengan.”

                “Damn.”

                We just kind of looked at each other. “Well, let’s just go with the original idea, then.”

                It took us – me – around fifteen minutes, but we – I – finally figured it out. We now held a spinning ball of lightning, and I was almost afraid of what destruction it would do if it touched anything. We charged at the nearest tree, pushing our creation into the trunk, and I squinted my eyes as splinters began to fly.