Chapter 5

June knocked at the great doors of Wigham Park, shivering despite the heavy cloak around her shoulders. The door opened and the butler appeared, a bushy eyebrow raised.

"I am here to see Lord Graham, is he in?" June asked loudly.

"Lord Graham has gone to see his sister Miss," the butler replied.

"I see. Do you know when he will be back?"

"By this evening I expect. Do you have any message for him?"

"No," June shook her head. "Thank you." She said and turned to go, the door closing behind her.

She had come to talk to Lord Graham about what had happened at the opera last night. What had passed between him and Lord Hanley was very strange and she wanted answers.

Before she reached the end of the drive she saw the young man with the dark eyes standing with a large sketchbook under his arm. He surveyed her boldly as she walked by.

"Is it not rude to stare at a lady?" June snapped, irritated.

"Is it?" He asked, an eyebrow arching lazily.

"Yes."

"A thousand apologies," he said languidly, inclining his head.

"Who are you?" June asked, feeling uncomfortable.

"Theodore Wilder, Lord Graham's valet."

"Oh." June willed herself to keep moving but her legs wouldn't move. She dropped her gaze, examining the sapphire green velvet of her cloak.

"Oh, indeed." He said sounding bemused.

"Well, I should be off," she said and started to walk briskly off, her cheeks warm and her legs trembling.

When June returned home she found her sister and mother in the sitting room sewing.

"Where's father?" June asked, taking a seat next to her mother.

"He's feeling very ill," Olivia replied.

"Oh?" June picked up a book that lay on the table next to her. "Is he very ill?" She asked, her father almost never complained of illness.

"He says he feels rather sick and is very warm." Lady Turner replied.

"Shouldn't someone be with him?" June asked, very alarmed.

"He is asleep and the doctor is coming." Her mother replied and as if on cue, Bowen the butler entered the room with Doctor Thorpe.

"Doctor, I am so glad to see you." Lady Taylor stood. "Lord Taylor is rather ill and I would that you take a look at him," she said, leading him up the stairs.

"Have you seen father?" June asked her sister.

"No and I am worried. He almost never complains about illness." Olivia looked up, her pale eyebrows drawn together in concern.

"I know. I hope it isn't anything serious." Silence prevailed as Olivia went back to embroidering small blue flowers and June leafed idly through the book-a  dull tome, The History of Modern Philosophy and sighed, dropping it back on the settee she leaned back, closing her eyes.

"Where were you?" Olivia asked after a few moments.

"I wanted to pay a call to Lord Graham but he wasn't home."

"Lord Graham, he's awfully dashing isn't he?" Olivia said slyly.

"He is, but he is also incredibly mysterious. I ran into him at the opera last night with Lord Hanley and it seems that Lord Hanley, Lord Graham and Miss O'Connor have some secret shared past. I have no idea what though and him and Lord Hanley seemed quite antagonistic towards each other."