Chapter 13

The entrance hall was lit with candles that illuminated the brightly coloured evening gowns and cravats of the assembled guests. June stood still, obstinately staring at Lady Selwyn. After much argument June had conceded to the wishes of her mother and sister and was no suffering under the watchful eye of that lady. "I'm so glad you came," it was Lady Barclay came up behind June, dressed in a deep blue gown that accented her eyes. Her pale blonde hair was tied up and scattered with pearls. All in all she looked very nice and June felt a rush of goodwill for the widow.

"Lady Barclay, I am so delighted to be here. You have a most lovely house," June replied.

"Thank you, Lord Barclay was the one responsible for it."

"Than he has impeccable taste," June replied.

She saw Lord Graham and Ann O'Connor in one corner of the room with Ruth Queensbury who's bright green dress was like a beacon in a storm. She was laughing and talking, charming as ever and June shivered with distaste.

"Miss Taylor," she turned and saw Sir Harkness next to her, dressed in a sky blue waistcoat and cravat, looking very dapper.

"Sir Harkness, how lovely to see you!" She smiled earnestly and offered her hand which he kissed.

"Is your sister well? I haven't see her to-night." He asked.

"She is well and here, though I am not certain where."

"And your father and mother?"

"Mother is well though father is still ill."

"I am sorry to hear that. Please give him my best." Sir Harkness said. June nodded and was about to say more but Lord Graham approached them, smiling broadly. June felt her stomach constrict and a mixture of nervousness, excitement and confusion took over her.

"Miss June, how lovely to see you," Lord Graham said, his voice giving her a strange breathless feeling.

"Lord Graham, I am glad to see you," she offered her hand which he kissed, his lips grazing her knuckles. "I trust you are well?"

"Quite well thank you. How are you?"
"I am very well."

"And Miss Henrietta, is she here?"

"Unfortunately no," his eyes hardened for an instant but the look disappeared. "She was feeling a little unwell this evening."

"I hope she recovers."

"Your good wishes are appreciated." He smiled at her and she averted her eyes, her mind whirling with thoughts of Lord Graham, his supposed betrayal and the way he'd kissed her. His firewood scent and the firm set of his jaw filling her mind.

"I see Miss O'Connor is here, I hope she is well." June said, to break the uncomfortable silence.

"Yes, she is very well and has been catching up with all the old friends she has left behind." As they spoke Ann herself came over to join the two.

"Miss June I am so glad to see you again," she smiled engagingly.

"Miss Ann, it seems it has been so long."

"Ann," Lord Graham lay a hand on her shoulder and nodded towards the door. The two girls looked at saw Lord Hanley entering the house, looking very handsome as usual. On his arm was a small, delicate boned lady who smiled at everyone. They made a very handsome couple, June thought, but Lord Hanley's face instantly changed when he saw Ann and Lord Graham. A mix of emotions, anger, regret, desire and confusion danced across his face and he made his way over to where they stood.