Chapter 20

Mary Carlton was left sitting in the small cafe, sipping her tea thoughtfully.

The meeting with Theodore had shaken her, bringing memories of her sister back to her.

Laura had always been the most beloved daughter. Their father, a blacksmith by trade, had always favoured her. Mary was always a disappointment. Even when their father had died Laura snubbed Mary.

Until Samuel Carlton came along and took Mary away into a world of wine and operas, gowns and balls. Mary, only nineteen, was bitter towards Laura and ignored her, beginning her life as the betrothed of a baronet. Laura fell into ruin and went to the streets. After that Mary lost almost all contact with her.

Until Samuel died. Only married for three months when Samuel caught cholera and died tragically. Mary was left with nothing and she was soon reunited with Laura. Laura had been married to a man in Nottinghamshire, a blacksmith. Unsurprisingly Laura was bitter and refused to acknowledge her sister.

Soon however, Mary's fortunes changed for the better.

Samuel had written a will and he had left a healthy sum to marry. So she took it and offered some to Laura in good faith, only to find out Laura had died mysteriously. Mary went to Kent where Samuel had a small plot of land an there Mary met with some scandal of her own.

There was a particular gardener, a tall, good looking man by the name of Gregory. Mary, only twenty-four, fell madly in love with him and started an affair for some time. After about three months Gregory left her without explanation and Mary was heartbroken. She felt betrayed and vowed to never trust a man again.

After that she lived alone for almost a decade when news of Laura Carter reached her ears.

Mary heard that her sister had taken to the streets and was a well renowned prostitute among people of high standing and had been taken by the Viscount Mersey as a mistress. Mary heard this and went to the Viscount's house to inquire. She soon found her sister only to find an even more haughty and proud girl than before, despite her station in life. When Mary had demanded to know about her faked death, Laura only told her that she needed to escape marriage and avoid scandal and told Mary firmly never to call on her again. So Mary left and had little to none contact with her sister, perfectly happy to live a quiet existence and leave her past behind.

So much for that, Mary thought as she stood up and left the cafe, dropping a coin on the table.

She walked down King's Lane, her bonnet ribbons fluttering in the wind, head down.

"Mary? Mary Carlton?" She looked up at the sound of his voice, stunned.

Standing in front of her was Gregory himself.

"Gregory," she said weakly, too stunned to cry. He held the hand of a young girl, maybe seven or eight and she looked up at Mary curiously.

"Mary I haven't seen you in ages, I am so pleased to meet again." He said, smiling widely and exposing the gap between his teeth that had always been an endearing part of him.

"Indeed," she nodded. "Is this your daughter?"

"Yes, this is Katherine." The little girl smiled and Mary felt the sting of tears in her eyes.

"Very nice to meet you," Mary said.

"Mary, I didn't expect to see you here," he said.

"It was a surprise to both of us," she replied. "Clearly you cannot escape the past." She walked away then, inwardly protesting as she left any hope of an explanation or an apology behind.