Chapter 18

Henrietta looked up at the doors of Wigham Park, a battle of wills going inside of her. One part of her; the more sensible part said that she was doing the right thing. But the other part of her, the part that was still in love with Benjamin Drew, said that she was being a fool and she should run away. Her fist was raised to knock, the gloved hand trembled as she looked at the wood, cursing herself. She was spared having to knock however when she heard a carriage behind her. She turned and saw her brother step out, a smile on his face.

"Henrietta my dear, how nice to see you," he advanced and took her hand, smiling.

"Marcus, we need to speak." She replied as he opened the door and they stepped inside.

"Of course, come in and have some tea," they moved into the sitting room where Marcus rung for a footman.

"Marcus, I want to know the truth."

"About?"

"About Benjamin's death," she replied, watching her brother's face for any reaction.

"What about his death?"

"Is it true that you were in love with some actress, the same actress that Ben was in love with?"

"Where did you hear this?"
"Agnes Drew told me."

"My dear sister, how can you trust the word of a madwoman?"

"Just tell me the truth."

"Yes, I did kill him because we were both in love with Ruth Queensbury, who is now dead. I suppose Ben and her can be together at last."

"Ruth is dead?" Henrietta asked, her anger faltering.

"Yes, she killed herself," Marcus replied cooly.

The footman arrived with a tea tray but it remained untouched.

"You killed my husband because you were jealous? Not even because you were protecting me."

"Yes."

"What?" Henrietta was appalled at her brother; he could at least feign remorse. "You blatantly admit that? No shame, no regret?"

"Should I have? I was protecting the honour of the woman I loved."

"Honour? Honour! That woman had no honour!" Henrietta practically spat at her brother. "She toyed with every man she met! You killed an innocent man, a good man, because of an infatuation!"
"It wasn't an infatuation! Do you suppose that a man with an infatuation would kill a man? I loved Ruth, and now she's gone! My world has completely crumbled. Do you know what that feels like?"

"Of course I do. You murdered my husband!"

"It wasn't murder.'"

"Than what was it? An accident? You stormed into our cottage, drunk as a sailor and shot my husband!"

"I was protecting the woman I loved! Bloody hell, do you not understand that?"

"Of course I do not!" She screamed. "You weren't protecting anyone!"

"Silence! We will not speak anymore about it. Sir McCarthy is coming tomorrow, you will be civil and obedient, the ideal wife." Marcus stood, quivering in anger before storming out of the room, leaving Henrietta more desperate and angry than before.

June looked at her pale reflection and grimaced; there were bags under her eyes from lack of sleep and her normally porcelain skin was mottled. She pulled the hair away and pinned it.